Our dogs love spending time outdoors, but sometimes we need a safe place to keep them contained and away from danger. Short of a fenced-in yard, the best way to give your pup some outside time while still keeping them safe is with an outdoor dog kennel. This gives your pup the option of being outside and in the fresh air and sunshine while staying out of danger. It also gives you a way to get your dog out of the house if you’re painting, using some kind of chemicals, or just doing anything you want to get your dog out of the house and away from.
To find the best outdoor dog kennels, we looked at over a hundred different options to find the highest-quality choices for anyone looking to keep their pup contained outdoors. When choosing the best kennels, we looked at a number of different factors including size, quality of construction and materials, customer ratings and reviews from Amazon, and price. We then narrowed things down to the top five to make sure we had an option for every budget and need.
During our search, we chose the Lucky Dog Uptown Kennel as the best outdoor dog kennel overall. It’s a little on the expensive side, but it more than makes up for the cost when you factor in the high-quality materials, rust-resistant coating, ease of installation, and waterproof cover. All of this combines to make it the best choice for almost every dog owner who wants to keep their pet safely contained outside.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Large Outdoor Dog Kennels
|Best Outdoor Dog Kennel Overall||Lucky Dog Uptown Welded Wire Kennel||4.7|
|Best Large Outdoor Dog Kennel||ZENY 31'' W x 24'' H Foldable Metal Exercise Pen||4.6|
|Best Budget Outdoor Dog Kennel||Paws & Pals Wire Pen Dog Fence Playpen||4.5|
|Best Outdoor Dog Kennel With Roof||Advantek Pet Gazebo Outdoor Metal Dog Kennel||4.5|
|Best Indoor/Outdoor Dog Kennel||Internet's Best Wire Dog Kennel - Double Door||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Outdoor Dog Kennel Overall: Lucky Dog Uptown Kennel
During our testing, we found the Lucky Dog Uptown Kennel to be the best overall by a considerable margin. This kennel is relatively affordable and comes in multiple sizes so you can be sure to get something that fits your dog well, without paying extra for something that’s just too large. The large size measures 6’H x 4’W x 8’L, the medium size 6’H x 4’W x 4’L, and smallest size measures 6’H x 4’W x 4’L.
The construction is all steel, with a powder-coated finish to protect the thick, welded wire from the elements. This makes it very durable, and almost guaranteed to stay rust-free.It also features a heavy-duty, UV-resistant cover that is waterproof and easy to secure. This will keep your pup safe and protected from the elements whenever they’re outside, which is great if you plan on leaving them outside unsupervised for any length of time.
Finally, users reported that this kennel is super easy to put together, requires no tools, and the escape-proof latch is safe from even the most inventive of escape-prone pooches. All of this combines to make it an excellent choice for pet parents looking to keep their dog safe, comfortable, and contained when outdoors.
Lucky Dog Uptown Kennel Key Features:
- Secure waterproof cover to keep your pet out of the sun and rain
- Powder-coated stainless steel construction for rust prevention
- Full-sized swinging gate for easy access and exit
- Secure, lockable latch
- Easy assembly
Best Large Outdoor Dog Kennel: ZENY 31” W x 24” H Foldable Metal Exercise Pen
The ZENY 31” W x 24” H Foldable Metal Exercise Pen is an absolutely phenomenal option for anyone with smaller dogs or puppies that they want to keep safe outdoors, while still allowing them a place to play and explore. It features 16 panels that allow you to configure the kennel in any shape you can imagine, which is great for adapting to spaces when you’re traveling or for adding some variety to the space your pet has when outdoors. The maximum square footage is a little under 67 square feet, which is absolutely huge! Your pup (or puppies) will have a great time with this much space. The two gates and the modular design also means that you can configure this into two separate kennels with, each with a max area of 33.5 square feet.
Construction-wise, the panels are made of corrosion-resistant metal and will do a great job of standing up to water, and aggressive chewers. Setup is also very easy with no tools required, and the whole thing can be put up and taken down in about ten minutes at most, and the fact that it collapses down makes it easy to store when not in use.
ZENY 31” W x 24” H Foldable Metal Exercise Pen Key Features:
- Large, open area with lots of room
- Heavy-duty, rust-resistant construction will last a lifetime
- Multi-panel construction means it can be configured in multiple shapes to fit many spaces
- Collapses down for easy storage or transport
- Great for smaller dogs and puppies to have a safe place to play
Best Budget Outdoor Dog Kennel: Paws & Pals Wire Pen Dog Fence Playpen
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly way to keep your pet contained outside, the Paws & Pals Wire Pen Dog Fence Playpen is the option for you. It’s not quite as durable as our top pick or runner up, but if you’re not going to be subjecting your dog kennel to much abuse then that’s not much of an issue. It is still rust-resistant, and while smaller than our runner-up pick, it still offers your pet 30 square feet of space to play.
Best of all, there are options available for 24″, 32″, and 40″ heights so you can be sure that your dog will be safely contained no matter how large they are. The options here make it a great choice for pet owners that want something sized specifically for their dog. The only real downside is that it’s fairly heavy for its size, but if you aren’t carrying it any significant distance it’s not a problem at all because it uses a modular panel construction so you’re only lifting a few pounds at a time. This also means you can customize the shape of the kennel to your space, your pet’s needs, or just your aesthetic preferences.
Paws & Pals Wire Pen Dog Fence Playpen Key Features:
- Multiple sizes available to accommodate all dogs
- Heavy-duty steel tube construction makes for a durable kennel
- Rust-resistant coating prevents corrosion
- Panel construction means you can modify
Best Outdoor Dog Kennel with Roof: Advantek Pet Gazebo
For pet owners looking for a stylish, covered outdoor kennel that will keep their pet protected from the rain and sun, the Advantek Pet Gazebo is a fantastic option. This outdoor dog kennel with a roof sports sizable square footage and enough room for pets up to 180lbs, depending on the model you go with. That’s enough room for two dogs comfortably, or you can go with the medium option that we have here which supports one pup up to 80lbs in total comfort.
Our favorite thing about this kennel is that it looks really sharp and has a nice waterproof and UV-resistant fabric for a roof. This gives your pet a nice little area that’s all their own, and it won’t look out of place in your backyard. You can also buy multiple gazebos and link them together to give your pets an even larger area in which they can roam around and socialize! This design makes it a very versatile choice, and it is one of the most multi-functional options on this list. The wire mesh construction is also solid and rust-resistant without being overly heavy, making moving it around less of a chore.
Advantek Pet Gazebo Key Features:
- Weather-resistant roof protects your pet from rain and sun
- High-sided construction is good for pets up to 80lbs
- Easy, no-tool assembly
- Portable design makes it easy to move around
- Also available in large and small sizes (small up to 50lbs, large up to 180lbs)
Best Indoor/Outdoor Dog Kennel: Internet’s Best Wire Dog Kennel
The brand name may be a little cheesy, but the Internet’s Best Wire Dog Kennel actually did very well in our testing. This is a great option for anyone who is looking for a multi-functional kennel that can be used more like a traditional crate indoors when needed. This makes it very versatile and a good budget choice as it is very affordable, and it can be used indoors or outdoors depending on things like the weather or your pup’s mood.
Beyond that, the wire mesh construction is very traditional for a crate like this, and it holds up well to biting and chewing, as well as the hazards of transport. It also is relatively lightweight and it has a nice carry handle on top, making it easy to move whenever you need to. It’s also available in three different sizes and a few different colors, making it easy to match decor if you’re worried about aesthetics, and of course, you can get something that’s sized well for your pet. There’s not a giant option for those truly humongous pups, but for most dog owners, this makes for a great option that offers much flexibility.
Internet’s Best Wire Dog Kennel Key Features:
- Can easily be moved indoors when needed
- Great for crate training
- Easy to clean plastic bottom makes it good for puppies
- Collapsible and foldable to make it easy to transport in a vehicle, or store away when not needed
Who Should Buy an Outdoor Dog Kennel
Being able to let your dog run around off-leash is great for their mental and physical health, but of course, we can’t just let them run around unconstrained. For one, it’s illegal in most municipalities in the US, and for another, it’s very unsafe for your pet. Dogs need that freedom and the fresh air and sunshine, but without a fenced-in yard or a dog park nearby, it can be difficult to give it to them. With an outdoor dog kennel, you can set up an area where your pup can be outside, but still safely restrained and protected.
This is a great option if you don’t have a fenced-in backyard as it means you can set up an area where your pet can be outdoors without your direct supervision, but still be safe. It’s also a great option for keeping an outdoor dog out of the way when you’re doing yard work or having a social gathering where you don’t want them to be too underfoot, but you still want them to be able to socialize. Finally, they can be great for traveling, particularly RVing. When you’re on the road, your pet can get anxious if they’re cooped up inside for too long. With an outdoor dog kennel, they can still have some time outdoors, and you can be confident that they’re safely out of harm’s way even you don’t have your eyes on them.
If you’re interested in a home for your outside dog to stay warm, then you may want to check out The Best Insulated Dog Houses.
Important Features to Consider
There are a few important things to keep in mind when you’re buying an outdoor dog kennel. Here’s what to consider when selecting an outdoor dog kennel for your dog:
- Material. Since these are going outside, it’s important to have something that is not going to rust or degrade, and it needs to be resistant to chewing if your pup is prone to gnaw things. Common materials are galvanized or coated steel, wire, chain-link, or heavy-duty plastic. You need something that will contain your pup, and also remain free of rust and corrosion.
- Size. Outdoor dog kennels come in many different sizes, and the one you’ll need depends on what exactly you’re looking for, and how much freedom you want your pup to have. You have ones that are basically playpens that have no roof or floor and cover a wide area, and smaller, more traditional crates that keep your pup more contained.
- Weather Resistance. If your dog is going to be outside without supervision for any length of time, you’ll want something that has a roof to keep them out of direct sun and rain when they need a place to go.
- Floor Type. Does your pup dig? If so, you may want to consider a kennel with a flooring material of some kind to keep them from escaping when they’re left alone.
- Latch System. Many dogs are smarter than we give them credit for being, so having an escape-proof latch can be valuable if you have a canine escape artist on your hands.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an outdoor dog kennel?
The basic idea behind an outdoor dog kennel is to have a place where your dog can be safely contained while outdoors. They’re available in a variety of styles to meet just about every need.
How big of an outdoor dog kennel do I need?
This really depends on your dog, the size of your yard, and your specific needs. In general, the minimum you want to go for is something around 3x the size of your dog, with room for them to stand up plus a few extra inches so they can stretch and move around comfortably. If you’re going with an open-topped kennel, then you also need to make sure the sides of the kennel aren’t short enough for your dog to jump out.
Are outdoor kennels good for dogs?
Yes! The mental and physical health of your dog can be greatly improved by some time outside.
Can I leave my dog in his outdoor dog kennel alone?
You can, but be sure not to leave them out there too long. Dogs want to be outside, but they also crave interaction and socialization with you. You also want to make sure they aren’t exposed to the elements (rain, heat, cold, etc) without sufficient protection.
Other Outdoor Dog Kennels We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other outdoor dog kennels. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best outdoor dog kennels list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Indoor/Outdoor Dog Kennels
This dog crate is great both indoors and out. It also features a carry handle for ease-of-transport.
- Easy to move in and out as needed
- Doors on both ends
- No-tool assembly
This heavy-duty kennel is a great choice for anyone looking for a panel-style kennel with multiple size options available.
- Panel construction means modularity and easy assembly.
- Rounded edges keep pets safe
This ultra-resilient crate has escape-proof latches, a removable plastic cleaning tray, and multiple size options making it great for many different breeds.
- Removable plastic tray
- Escape-proof latches on all doors
- Locking casters for easy movement around the house or outdoors
This easy-to-move crate is a great choice for anyone who wants to be able to transport their dog kennel quickly and easily.
- Comfortable carry handle
- Double doors for easy access
This is another rolling dog crate with an excellent steel frame and locking casters for easy transport.
- Extra-fine mesh bottom
- Can accommodate larger breeds comfortably
- Easy to move around and won’t scuff floors
This rolling crate is perfect for dogs that like to spend some time outdoors but need to come back inside at night.
- Escape-proof design
- Three doors for ease of access
- Many sizes available
If you’re looking for a rolling crate that can hold even the most escape-prone pups, this is the crate for you.
- Extremely secure latches
- Multiple sizes available
- All-steel construction is virtually indestructible
Large Outdoor Dog Kennels
This collapsible playpen is perfect for puppies and small dogs that want to get out of the house for a while, and it has plenty of space so mama can join in too.
- Lightweight and easy to move
- No-tool assembly
- Modular panel design to accommodate any space.
AmazonBasics comes through again with an affordable option for those who are looking to get a quality product without spending a ton of money.
- Backed by Amazon Assurance policy
- Tall sides to handle large pups
- Multiples styles and sizes available
This multi-panel kennel is a great choice for those who have multiple dogs or want to be able to change up their pet’s space to give them some variety.
- Easy to accommodate multiple dogs
- Multiple doors for configuring into two separate kennels
- Multiple height options available
This multi-size playpen is great for letting your pup get some exercise, especially when you’re traveling such as in an RV.
- Designed to be easy to travel with
- Simple and quick to setup
- Sizes available for all breeds of dogs
A puppy playpen from BestPet is a great option for anyone looking to give their young dog some space to frolic and play
- Rust-resistant coating stands up to the elements if left outside
- Easy assembly
- Very lightweight
This outdoor kennel provides a huge amount of space for puppies and other small dogs to play.
- Large inner area
- Easy to set up and takedown
- No tools required
This is another playpen that is good for puppies and older dogs alike. It also has all rounded edges to keep your pets (and you) safe.
- Rounded edges for safety
- Locking latches
- Solid bottom edge won’t scuff floors if you have to bring it inside
A rambunctious pet needs a large kennel to frolic and play in. If you have such a pup on your hands, this exercise pen may be the choice for you.
- Extra-large inner area
- Raised gate is difficult for young puppies to get out of, but easy for pet parents to step into
- No-tool assembly
- Multiple configurations due to panel construction
- Thick wire to resist chewing and clawing
- Lockable door latches
If you’re looking for a flexible, multi-panel kennel that you can set up in a variety of shapes, this option from ZENY is a great choice.
- Multiple possible configurations
- Easy to set up and takedown
- Locking gate
Outdoor Dog Kennels with Roof
This BestPet offering has a roof and is designed to be just at home indoors as it is outdoors and is designed to accommodate large dogs.
- Great indoors or out
- Can handle one large or two medium dogs
- Rust-proof exterior coating
This kennel from BestPet is a little smaller than our previous listing and comes with a rain and sun-proof roof to keep your pet cool in the summer and dry in the rain.
- Easy to assemble
- Sun and rainproof roof
- locking doors
If you’re looking for a nicely camouflaged kennel for a hunting dog, or just because you like the aesthetic, the roof on this one makes for a nice look.
- Camouflaged water and sun-proof roof
- Easy to assemble
- No-scuff feet in case you need to set it up indoors