People use hot water bottles and heating pads for lots of reasons. They provide comfort, keep us cozy, and help to ease pain and discomfort from injuries, cramps or chronic conditions. Well, your dog is no different! We all want our pets to be as comfortable as possible, and a warm bed goes a long way. Heating pads for dogs can help your pooch stay warm in the winter months, keep them from getting chilly when they’re outside, and bring some relief to arthritic joints as they get older. They’re also great for encouraging your dog to relax and snooze, perfect for pups who struggle to settle down during quiet time.
We reviewed dozens of heating pads for dogs to identify the best of the best. Many of those that earned a place on the list included features such as adjustable temperatures, self-warming features, and good durability for outdoor use. Others were full of customer reviews recommending the heating pad for large dog breeds and older, arthritic dogs.
After much consideration of many different products, we selected the Riogoo Pet Heating Pad as a clear winner. With its auto power-off function, multiple timer settings, and seven layers of protective cover, you get the full functionality and benefits of an electric heating pad with the peace of mind that it’s as safe as they come.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Heating Pads for Dogs
|Best Overall||Riogoo Pet Heating Pad||4.4|
|Best Heating Pad for Dogs With Adjustable Temperatures||Popsky Pet Heating Pad||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||Furhaven Insulated Self-Warming Pet Bed Pad||4.5|
|Best Outdoor Dog Heating Pad||K&H Lectro-Soft Outdoor Heated Pet Bed||4.3|
|Best Heating Pad for Large Dogs||Zobire Pet Heating Pad||4.2|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Heating Pad for Dogs Overall: Riogoo Pet Heating Pad
The Riogoo Pet Heating Pad incorporates a lot of the best features of the many heating pads for dogs we reviewed. It also has a wide variety of functionality, from heating dog beds to being used as a heating pad for senior pets, newborn puppies, and dogs recovering from illness or injury. Customers absolutely love the auto power-off functionality as it means you never have to worry about whether you accidentally left it switched on when leaving the house. You can choose to have the pad turn off automatically after 1-12 hours using the settings. Many reviews commented on how the heating pad helped their dog to settle down and sleep in the evenings or to warm up after a bath or brisk walk.
The replaceable cover is very easy to clean and can be washed in your laundry machine, while the chew-resistant steel cable keeps the product in good condition and your dogs from injuring themselves by chewing the chord. The UL-approved heating wire in the pad is water-resistant as part of the seven-layer protection given to the pad. The seven layers include a polyester cover, PVC material, and refractory wool to keep the heating element secure and protect your pet. The temperature is adjustable in increments of 5℉ from 80-130℉. So you can pick the precise temperature that is comfortable for your pet.
Riogoo Pet Heating Pad Key Features:
- Auto power-off safety feature with choice of timer options up to 12 hours
- Chew-resistant steel cable
- Machine-washable polyester cover
- Adjustable temperature
- Available in multiple sizes
Best Heating Pad for Dogs with Adjustable Temperatures: Popsky Pet Heating Pad
The Popsky Pet Heating Pad is the best heating pad for dogs with adjustable temperatures. Not only does it allow for seven different temperature settings, but those temperatures also range from 75℉ all the way up to 135℉. So you can keep your pooch cozy on a cold winter evening, and use a higher temperature for dogs with arthritis or who are recovering from an injury. A handy LED display on a paw-shaped control displays the temperature and allows you to easily increase or decrease the temperature as needed. For pet owners concerned about safety risks, the Popsky Pet Heating Pad also includes an automatic overheat shutdown if the temperature is at risk of going above the max heat level of 135℉. Customers love the combination of adjustable temperatures with safety features such as a low voltage, slow warming pace, and the fact that the seven layers of protection over the heating element include a fireproof sponge. With an IP67 waterproof rating, you can be sure that no spills, accidents or damp coats are going to cause a safety issue for your dog.
The best part is that your furry friend will love it too! The cover for this heating pad for dogs is made of fleece material – perfect for dogs who like to snooze. Plus, the pad comes with two covers, so you can switch them out when one needs to be washed. It can even be used outdoors, but it’s recommended to use a protected outdoor outlet and avoid using it outdoors in rain or snow.
Popsky Pet Heating Pad Key Features:
- 5.5-foot steel-wrapped anti-chew chord
- Two machine-washable fleece covers (x1 grey, x1 royal blue)
- Adjustable heating temperatures with 7 settings
- Auto power-off overheating protector
- Comes in Medium (11.8″x15.7″) or Large (25.6″x15.7″)
Best Budget Heating Pad for Dogs: Furhaven Insulated Self-Warming Pet Bed Pad
Not all pet heating pads for dogs have to be electrically powered. Our best budget heating pad for dogs operates by capturing your dog’s own body heat to keep them warm. The Furhaven Insulated Self-Warming Pet Bed Pad is the perfect budget-friendly choice for those of us who want to keep our dogs cozy with a budget-friendly pad that doesn’t present the same safety concerns as an electric heating pad. A reflective thermal pad insulated by layers of polyester fiber is nestled inside the bed and covered by quilted padding and a faux fur sleeping cover for extra comfort. The polyester fiber batting captures your dog’s body heat and traps it while reflecting it back out to keep your dog warm and comfortable.
The whole pad is machine washable and comes in neutral colors or fun leopard prints. One huge advantage of this budget buy over an electric heating pad is that it can be easily packed up and used as a travel bed, the self-warming properties working anywhere your dog lies on it. However, you might want to be careful around teething puppies as, like most plush dog accessories, it won’t hold up against excessive chewing! It’s also perfect as a crate mat for pets who need a little extra comfort and safety so they can relax. While this particular bed/pad combo only comes in a size small, the same materials and thermal reflecting design are used in the Shammy Rug, Convertible Cuddle Bed, Throw Blanket, and Bed Mat versions of the product.
Furhaven Insulated Self-Warming Pet Bed Pad Key Features:
- Comfortable surface that is kind to noses and paws
- Enhanced insulation with self-warming properties
- Size 17″ x 22″ x 0.25″
Best Outdoor Heating Pad for Dogs: K&H Lectro-Soft Outdoor Heated Pet Bed
The best outdoor heating pad for dogs is the K&H Lectro-Soft Outdoor Heated Pet Bed. With built-in orthopedic foam, this bed is softer than other outdoor heating pads which are simply a thin heated mat. So it’s ideal for older dogs or those with stiff joints or injuries. This heating pad for dogs is thermostatically controlled and is designed to respond automatically to your dog’s normal body temperature without overheating them. A free washable fleece cover is included making it a great outdoor heating pad as it provides comfort as well as protection against the cold. If your dog sleeps in a shed, garage, or spends a lot of time outside, this is the perfect heating pad for you and your dog. The exterior is made of durable PVC material which is soft to the touch and easily washable with a damp cloth while being durable enough for outdoor use.
As an electrically-powered heating pad being used outdoors, safety is a real concern. But this pad has been tested by MET labs and certified as exceeding USA/CA electrical safety standards, so you can rest assured your dog is in safe and cozy hands. It is energy efficient too at only 60 watts. This product is durable for outside use but is not recommended for dogs who are prone to chewing or other destructive behavior.
K&H Lectro-Soft Outdoor Heated Pet Bed Key Features:
- Large size, ideal for bigger dog breed (25″ x 36″)
- 5.5-foot steel wrapped anti-chew chord
- Thermostatically controlled and energy efficient
- Tested and certified to exceed USA/CA electrical standards
Best Heating Pad for Large Dogs: Zobire Pet Heating Pad
Large dogs tend to develop arthritis more frequently than smaller breeds. This can make cold tile floors and cold weather a real nuisance for them as their joints can stiffen up. The Zobire Pet Heating Pad is the perfect heating pad for large dogs, measuring in at 27.6”×15.75”. The heating pad is contained in a soft waterproof PVC case but it also comes with a removable fleece cover that you can machine wash. Some customers have commented that although the chord is chew-resistant, it does not look as durable as others, but this is only an issue if your dog is prone to persistent chewing. The dual thermostat built into this heating pad provides a consistent temperature once your dog lays down on it, generating a temperature between 97-109.4℉. Many customers commented on how the heating pad helped to relieve arthritis symptoms in their larger dogs, and that multiple small pets can curl up together on this larger sized heating pad for dogs.
One of the best features of this heating pad for dogs is its simplistic functionality. You simply plug the heating pad in and it turns on, heating up over 20-30 minutes and remaining at a comfortable temperature until the pad is plugged out. Your dog will love to nap on the comforting, auto-controlled warmth.
Zobire Pet Heating Pad Key Features:
- Dual thermostat with auto-controlled temperatures
- Washable fleece cover
- Waterproof PVC case over the heating element
- Large size (27.6”×15.75”)
Who Should Buy a Heating Pad for Dogs
Every dog owner should consider a heating pad for their dog’s bed, even those of us who live in warmer climates. You might like to keep the air con to a fairly cool temperature, so a warm bed can still be suitable for your dog, especially if you have tiled or hardwood floors.
Smaller breeds and dogs with short coats tend to feel the cold more than larger breeds or those with thick coats. So those who own dogs that fit that profile might also consider a heating pad for general use.
If you live in colder climates, heating pads can be a great way to keep your furry friend warm. After a long walk outdoors in rain or snow, your dog will love curling up on a nice heated bed. It’s also important to keep them warm and dry if they spend a lot of time outdoors in a yard. So if you have working dogs or the yard is your dog’s main living area, a heating pad is a great way to ensure they keep warm.
During whelping, many experienced breeders recommend placing newborn puppies in a warm, dry area. Heating pads for new litters helps the puppies as they can’t generate their own heat for the first couple of weeks and it’s not always safe to leave them alone with the dam (mother).
Lastly, older dogs feel the cold much more than younger dogs. They’re also not as spry as they once were and can be feeling the onset of arthritis. A heating pad can help to alleviate some of the aches and pains that come with old age.
Important Features to Consider
A heating pad for dogs should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a heating pad for your dog:
- Adjustable temperatures. There are not many places in the world where the temperature is consistent year-round. Your pet may also have individual temperature preferences based on their size and the thickness of their coat. For these reasons, any electrically powered heating pad should come with adjustable temperature settings. Many of the more sophisticated options on our list allow you to set specific temperatures by degrees. Others come with more limited functionality but still allow you to choose between multiple temperature options. That way, you can ensure your dog is at their most comfortable at all times.
- Machine washable. Dogs are adept at making a mess and they often spend a lot of time outdoors getting into all sorts of mud and dust. For that reason, their bedding needs to be washed regularly to avoid odors setting into the fabric. Many options on our list (particularly the indoor heating pads) come with replaceable covers for the heating pads which are machine washable. So all you need to do is whip them off the heating pads and throw them into the laundry to keep them fresh.
- Indoor/outdoor use. From the materials used to the voltage and temperature options, there can be quite a few differences in the features of indoor heating pads versus outdoor heating pads. So, before you choose a product, decide whether it will be used in an indoor or outdoor setting and select your heating pad accordingly.
- Timer settings. Sometimes we need to leave our puppers alone for a few hours, and a cozy bed is perfect for getting them to settle down while you’re gone. But you don’t necessarily want to leave an electric appliance running while you’re out of the house. That’s why many heating pads come with timers and automatic power-off settings. So you can leave with peace of mind.
- Safety features. All dog accessories need to be fairly durable, and not just because of wear and tear. Most heating pads on our list are electrically powered, which presents certain safety risks. So, when selecting a heating pad for your dog, make sure there are safety features such as chew-proof chords, temperature limits, and waterproof materials.
- Appropriate size. Just like dog beds, harnesses, and other size-based dog accessories, the price of your heating pad will also be determined by the size you select. You don’t want your Golden Retriever trying to get warm on a heating pad made for chihuahuas! To get the best results out of your new heating pad, make sure to purchase one that is size appropriate for your dog’s breed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a heating pad for dogs and how does it work?
A heating pad for dogs is any type of bed, pad, or mat designed to keep your dog warm under various conditions. They are mostly electrically-powered and plugged into an electrical outlet so that built-in heating elements start to warm up. However, sometimes the pads are built with heat-retaining fabrics that “self-warm” as your dog lies on them rather than running on electricity.
Another option is microwaveable heating pads which are warmer than self-heating pads but will cool down eventually, so are not as effective as electric pads.
Can you use a regular (human) heating pad for a dog?
It is not advisable to use a regular heating pad for your dog. The pads that are designed specifically for dogs are usually made with chew-resistant chords and other safety features that are not necessary for “human” heating pads. Keep in mind also that the temperature of a regular heating pad made for humans may be far too hot for your dog, especially smaller breeds. Their paws and skin are sensitive!
Heating pads for dogs are also designed to lay on the floor or even outdoors, so they are more durable than regular pads. It should be noted, though, that a heating pad for a dog will also suffice for your cat, too.
Will a heating pad help my dog’s arthritis?
Applying heat to the source of stiff joints, injuries, and arthritis can absolutely help to relieve your dog’s discomfort. Arthritis reduces blood flow and stiffens your dog’s joints which can be very painful. Cold temperatures are well known to aggravate arthritis and other types of injuries. So, a heating pad can do wonders for older or injured pets in terms of mobility and pain relief.
Are heating pads safe for pets?
No electrically powered device is ever guaranteed to be completely safe and precautions must always be taken. You should always follow all the safety instructions and use an electrically powered heating pad as intended. If your four-legged friend is a little boisterous and known to chew, you might consider one of the self-heating options to remove that particular risk.
The same goes for any microwaveable heating pads. While there’s no risk of electric shock, you don’t want your dog chewing and ingesting the gel inside these types of products. Self-warming pads are best to ensure your dog is safe at all times, although they may be a little less effective. Though your cat may appreciate the warming even more than your dog, the general rule of thumb is what’s a good temperature for one, is good for the other.
Other Heating Pads for Dogs We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other heating pads for dogs. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best heating pads for dogs list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Heating Pads for Dogs with Adjustable Temperatures
- Self-Warming Heating Pads for Dogs
- Microwaveable Heating Pads for Dogs
- Electric Heating Pads for Dogs
Heating Pads for Dogs with Adjustable Temperatures
With its auto-constant temperature feature, this electric heating pad for dogs is built for safety. It heats only to your pet’s natural body temperature so they never overheat.
- Chew-resistant steel chord
- Intelligent auto-constant temperature control
- Waterproof PVC material
This heating pad is super quick and heats up in just 10 minutes. It can be adjusted up to up to 104℉ with high and low-temperature settings.
- Highly efficient heating
- Power-off protection from overheating
- Fireproof, dust-free, Anti-electric shock material
This electric heating pad takes just 5-10 minutes to warm up and features both timer and temperature settings. Once plugged in, just place it on the floor or on your dog’s bed to keep them warm and cozy.
- Chew-resistant chord
- 34”x21” size
- Can be adjusted from 80-130℉
This is a safe, low voltage option with three levels of adjustable temperatures and three timer settings. It has uniform heating so that the whole pad is warmed and not just the area where your pet is lying.
- Comes with two soft covers
- Auto-temperature control to protect from overheating
- Three temperature settings (113-122-131 °F)
- Three timer settings (3 hours, 6 hours, 9 hours)
- Chew-resistant chord
This has more functionality than lots of other heating pads with six different temperature settings to choose from. It’s also built for comfort with an ultra-soft machine-washable cover.
- Six temperature settings from 86-131℉
- Timer with 4 auto-power off settings
- Waterproof and flame retardant PVC encasing
- Intelligent temperature sensor to prevent overheating
- Size 28″ x 16″
Another heating pad with six adjustable temperature settings, this heating pad is ideal for medium sized dogs. As an MET certified heating pad, you can be confident that the safety risk is minimal.
- Five timer settings (4 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours)
- Auto constant temperature control
- Flexible to fit most pet beds
- Waterproof PVC surface
For small-medium dogs, this comfy pad comes with a comfortable but durable oxford fabric cover in a paw-print pattern. Fast heating means your pup can enjoy comforting warmth quickly.
- Chew-resistant steel chord
- Low or High-temperature settings (95°F/112°F)
- Power-off function for overheating protection
- Waterproof and Anti-electric shock
Promote a warm snooze for your pet with the adjustable temperature and comfortable oxford fabric. This heating pad provides economical electricity consumption for your home.
- Easy to clean, waterproof material
- Low/High dual temperature setting
- Chew-resistant pad and chord
Great for small, short-haired dogs who feel the cold a little more, this heated pet bed comes in a grey rose or blue paw design. It heats quickly in just 3-5 minutes.
- Chew-resistant chord
- Low/High dual temperature setting
- Made with waterproof and flame-retardant material
For customers who are a little more style-conscious, the Whitney Pet Heating Pad comes with a lovely grey rose print cover. Plus, it heats up in just 10 minutes so your dog will be warm in no time.
- Quick heating time
- Size: 17.7”x17.7”
Self-Warming Heating Pads for Dogs
This self-warming heating pad for dogs comes with slits at each corner so it can fit into multiple sizes of crates. It’s self-warming properties capture your pet’s body heat and radiate it back to them to keep them warm.
- Comes in six sizes and three colors
- Non-slip bottom
- Microfleece sleeping surface
This self-warming heating pad comes with a thick, cashmere top layer for extra comfort. The heat-reflective layer built into the pad makes for an economical and safe option.
- Replaceable, machine-washable cover
- Non-slip bottom
- Size 24”x18”
- Foldable and portable
Microwaveable Heating Pads for Dogs
Simply pop this non-electrical heating pad in the microwave to provide warmth for up to 10 hours in your dog’s bed. This plate-sized pad fits easily under your dog’s bed but also comes with a paw-print fuzzy cover so it can be placed anywhere.
- Non-toxic thermapol material
- Ideal for arthritic dogs
- Provides up to 10 hours of heat
Once you’ve heated this pad in a clean microwave for 4-5 minutes, your dog can enjoy up to 12 hours of warmth. Insert the heated pad into their bed and watch them relax in their newly warmed up spot.
- Durable neoprene cover
- Economical, non-electric
- Can be hand washed with soap and water
Electric Heating Pads for Dogs
This heating pad for dogs should be plugged in and inserted inside your dog’s bed. It will then heat the bed to approximately 10-15 degrees above air temperature to keep your pet warm.
- Energy efficient
- Thermostatically controlled
- Heats only when your pet is in the bed
- MET tested and certified
Simply plug the heating pad in and it will heat to a constant temperature of between 100.4℉-104℉ with intelligent constant temperature control. You can plug this pad in and leave it running 24 hours per day throughout the whole winter as it heats only when activated by your pet.
- Bite-proof power cable
- Two washable flannel covers
- Built-in overheating protectors
- Waterproof PVC and flame retardant foam
At 17.7” x 15.7”, this heating pad is ideal for smaller dog breeds who are known to feel the cold. With the dual thermostat providing optimal warmth and a comfortably soft fleece cover, your furry friend will be in heaven.
- Heats to dogs natural body temperature
- Free removable cover
- 5’ steel-wrapped cable
- Waterproof PVC material
Generating 96.8-109.4℉ of comforting heat, this heating pad is ideal for keeping your dog warm on cold tiles or chilly winter nights. You can lie it directly on the floor or on top of your dog’s existing bed for extra comfort.
- Internal dual thermostat provides smart temperature control
- Auto powers off above 109.4℉
- Auto powers on under 96.8℉
- Made with waterproof and flame resistant materials
For large dogs who are still over-indulged princes or princesses, this dog measures in at 24″ x 29″ and comes with a fancy faux lambskin fleece cover. It’s also made of durable materials for long-lasting use and some outdoor use.
- Can be used outdoors with caution
- Thermostatically controlled automatic temperatures (100 – 105° F)
- Heavy-duty chew-resistant chord
- LED light turns on when the pad is heating
This heating pad boasts seven layers of protection so safety-conscious dog owners can rest assured. Your dog will love curling up for a snooze on the cozy fleece cover.
- Heats between 96.8° F-109.4° F with auto temperature control
- Chew-proof chord
- Machine-washable cover
- MET tested and certified