Almost every dog owner before getting their pup will have said, “The dog’s never going on the sofa/bed,” and then five minutes after the dog arrives, the dog is on the sofa/bed. Because our pups are our family, they need to be wherever we are. But sometimes they need a helping hand getting on and off the bed or sofa. Which is when you might want to consider investing in dog stairs or steps.
But how do you know which dog stairs are the best ones on the market, and which ones are right for your pup? Well, we reviewed dozens of dog stairs to identify the best of the best. In our search for the perfect dog stairs we compared the different brands and designs for ease of purpose, rigidity, weight-bearing capacity and versatility, and we narrowed our search down to our top 5.
However, there was one set of dog stairs that stood out head and shoulders above the rest. The Solvit PupSTEP + Plus was a clear winner in our eyes. These wonderful dog stairs are lightweight but durable, weighing in at just 5 lb, they are sturdy enough to support a pup up to 120 lb. They provide comfortable access to allow your pooch to feel confident and secure when walking up and down the steps, and their neutral color means they blend seamlessly into any room.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Stairs & Steps
|Best Overall||Solvit PupSTEP + Plus||4.1|
|Runner Up||Pet Gear Easy Step II||4.5|
|Best Budget Buy||PETMAKER Foam Pet Stairs||3.9|
|Best Dog Stairs for Bed||Dog Steps by Cozy Pet||4.3|
|Best Dog Stairs for Car||Niubya Folding Car Dog Stairs||4.1|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Solvit PupSTEP + Plus
The Solvit PupSTEP + Plus was the clear winner in our best dog stairs review as they are lightweight yet durable, being rigid enough to hold a dog up to 120 lb, but at just 5 lb themselves, they are transportable. You can move these dog stairs from room to room, taking your pup with you wherever you go. And with their foldable design, their versatility enhances their transportability.
With over 6,500 reviews on Amazon, we aren’t alone in thinking these dog stairs are just the ticket to easily allow your pup access up onto the sofa or your bed. Their neutral color won’t detract from your room decor, and with their built in side rails and non-skid feet, they will bolster the comfort of your home, because you will be safe in the knowledge that your dog will always be able to get up next to you.
The unique construction of these dog stairs means there is no assembly required prior to use, you just unfold and go, and when you’re done with them, you fold them back up for easy storage. And the best bit of all, these steps can also be used to help your dog into and out of the car.
Solvit PupSTEP + Plus Key Features:
- Lightweight yet durable
- Built in safety side rails
- Foldable for easy storage and transport
- Neutral color to blend in with any room decor
Our Runner Up Pick: Pet Gear Easy Step II
The Pet Gear Easy Step II came in a close second with its wider and deeper stair landings for small and large dogs, allowing any pup easy access to the sofa or bed. Plus the rubber grippers on the underneath of the pet stairs will keep the steps secure and in place, no matter how many times your pup goes up and down them.
These dog stairs do require some assembly, but the pieces snap together easily with no tools required, making it a doddle to put together and take apart when you need to transport it. Even though the manufacturer recommendation is for small and medium sized dogs, the steps have a weight bearing capacity of up to 150 lb, so even if you get them for your small pup to join you on the sofa, your elderly bigger dog can take advantage of them too, when necessary.
Pet Gear pet stairs have wide, deep steps that allow smaller dogs to get their entire body on each platform and offer more stability for large dogs to comfortably climb the stairs. Plus, the innovative incline of each step reduces the number of stairs your pet needs to climb. The dog stairs can be used with or without the carpet tread, and the carpet is easily removed for washing when dirty, and it’s machine washable.
Pet Gear Easy Step II Key Features:
- Wide deep steps
- Suitable for small and large dogs
- Easy to assemble needing no tools
- Removable and washable carpet tread
Best Budget Pick: PETMAKER Foam Pet Stairs
The PETMAKER Foam Pet Stairs are our best budget pick coming in at under $30, however you do get what you pay for and these pet stairs are not suitable for big dogs. So if you only have a small dog, then they’re the perfect choice for you. PETMAKER Foam Pet Stairs will provide a safe and comfortable way for your pet to access their favorite hangouts, and their lightweight design makes them ideal for small, older, arthritic or hesitant dogs.
Made from high density foam and available in 3-tier or 4-tier, depending on the height of your bed or sofa, these easy to clean pet stairs will suit all budgets. The high density foam structure is sturdy, stable, durable and comfortable for your pet to walk up and down on, and the machine washable soft microfiber cover comes off for easy cleaning. The steps themselves stay in place in with a non-slip bottom and back, ensuring your pet’s safety at all times.
However, whilst the steps can’t be folded away, they are incredibly lightweight and portable meaning moving them around your home is easy and you can take them away with you when you travel.
PETMAKER Foam Pet Stairs Key Features:
- Lightweight yet sturdy
- Removable, washable cover
- Non-slip bottom and back
- Neutral color to go in any room
Best Dog Stairs for Bed: Dog Steps by Cozy Pet
These Dog Steps by Cozy Pet were the obvious choice for our best dog stairs for bed category. Each of the 4 steps is padded for extra comfort and ease, providing the perfect cozy access to your bed for your pup. Plus, with their machine washable cover meaning you don’t have to have dirty steps in your bedroom, and their non-skid bottom, nor do you have to worry about the steps moving when your pet climbs onto and off your bed when you’re not there, or in the dark.
These dog stairs are available in either 3-tier or 4-tier, depending on the height of your bed, and they are available in a choice of two neutral colors to truly blend into the background. These safe and ultra lightweight steps are also easily movable, and with DuraCore technology they are strong enough to support a dog weighing up to 150 lb.
These steps have a handle on the back for easy transport making them the perfect travel steps when you move around with your pup, or simply moving the steps around the house. With almost 1,500 positive reviews on Amazon and an average of 4.3 stars out 5, the public are inclined to agree with us.
Dog Steps by Cozy Pet Key Features:
- Light weight (under 6 lb)
- Portable with handy tote handle on the back
- Padded steps for extra comfort
- Non-skid bottom
- Cover is machine washable
Best Best Dog Steps for Car: Niubya Folding Car Dog Stairs
The Niubya Folding Car Dog Stairs are the best dog stairs to allow your pup to easily, and independently, get into and out of your car. Niubya collapsible dog steps are made with an extra thick rustproof metal frame which makes the dog steps incredibly stable, and considering they are only 10 lb themselves, they are capable of supporting a 120 lb medium or large dog.
The stairs are waterproof and include a non-slip oxford cloth which not only prevents your dog’s claws from damaging the stairs, but also provide a sturdy footing even in wet weather. The steps have rubber handles to rest on your car’s tailgate, and they also come with a safety tether that can fasten onto the tailgate latch, offering double protection for your dog.
The stairs are easy to carry and store, and have an adjustable height and angle making them suitable for all size of dogs and perfect for most cars, trucks, SUVs and high beds. However, if your pup travels on the backseat, please ensure that the side door opening clearance is greater than 19.6″ before ordering.
Niubya Folding Car Dog Stairs Key Features:
- Comes with a 2 year hassle free warranty
- Suitable for all size of dog to access any type of vehicle
- Lightweight yet sturdy
- Folds flat for easy storage
Who Should Buy Dog Steps & Stairs
If you’ve ever sat on your sofa or lain in bed and heard the unmistakable sound of your pup barking or whining on the floor beside you, it’s because they are desperate to be with you, right next to you. But if they can’t get up to join you, they can fast turn into a nuisance, especially in the middle of the night. Which is why you might consider buying dog stairs.
You might think that only small dogs would need dog stairs to get onto and off beds and sofas, but sometimes all dogs need a little helping hand. As dogs age they become less stable on their feet, and like us humans, they are prone to wear and tear on the old joints and in their backs. Which means a formerly athletic pup who has never had any trouble hopping up beside you, might struggle in their twilight years, and anything you can do to make your pup’s life more comfortable will be greatly appreciated.
Dog stairs are especially important if you have a breed of dog that is prone to back problems – dogs with long backs and short legs tend to suffer the most:
- Basset Hounds
- Cocker Spaniels
- Shih Tzus
- Lhasa Apsos
Preemptively save on your vet bills by investing in a sturdy set of dog stairs and enjoy your pup’s company wherever you are. If your pup has difficulty navigating steps, a dog ramp is another option to help your dog navigate his environment with ease.
Important Features to Consider
In order for your dog stairs to provide adequate support, they should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting dog stairs for your pup:
- Safety. If your dog is old and unstable, or if their eyesight is fading, make sure your dog steps are sturdy and don’t wobble, and have side rails to prevent your pup from veering off course when climbing up or down the stairs.
- Transportability. If your pup needs stairs to get onto and off the sofa, chances are they’re going to need help getting onto your bed and into your car. So the dog stairs that you will want to invest in have to be easily transportable and light, otherwise you’re just creating more work for yourself.
- Stability. You don’t want the dog stairs to wobble when the dog is walking up or down them, or if they take a run at them, as this will increase the risk of injury to your pup. You also don’t want to have to right the steps every time the dog uses them.
- Ease of use. Your pup has to be able to use the steps easily, so make sure if you have a big dog that the steps aren’t too shallow for them to comfortably rest a paw on, and if you have a small dog, check the step depth and height, the last thing you want to do when trying to make your dog’s life easier is add more stress because they can’t use the stairs!
- Durability. Dogs aren’t known for being careful and watching where they are putting their paws. So you will want to purchase stairs that are going to last the distance, especially if you have a particularly heavy and clumsy pup. Also if you’re going to be moving the dog stairs around your home and out of the house, you will want something that can handle being put up and taken down a lot.
- Aesthetics. While you might want the dog stairs to be cute, they are after all for the cutest thing you have, don’t forget that they’re going to be on display, all day, everyday, and you don’t want to spend a lot of money on something that you’re going to tire of looking at. Muted, understated colors have value.
- Cost. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. Don’t try and save money by purchasing something that is flimsy or isn’t going to support your pup, you’ll only end up having to pay twice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does my dog need stairs?
This question really depends on your dog. Does he have joint problems like arthritis? Is he getting old and immobile? Is he one of the breeds that is prone to back problems? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then you should probably consider getting dog stairs. If you have an older dog or a pup with a chronic health condition that makes your home’s stairs dangerous, it’s a good idea to place a dog gate at the bottom and top of the stairs to keep your pup safe. If your dog is able to navigate a few steps, dog steps are a good option for making it easier for your dog to get in and out of your bed or on and off the couch.
In fact, even if your dog doesn’t have any of the above issues, but is just a small dog, investing in a set of dog stairs to help them get on and off the sofa and bed, making your home more functional and comfortable for your pup.
Is a ramp or stairs better for dogs?
Stairs take up a lot less floor space than a ramp, so if you have a small home, stairs are definitely the better investment. However some dogs don’t have the agility to handle stairs, so a ramp might be a better option for them. Again, the choice really depends on your dog and the space you have available.
Are dog stairs sturdy enough for a large dog?
Yes, some dog stair brands are sturdy enough for a large dog. We have looked at a wide variety of dog stair brands suitable for small dogs and large dogs, so check out our reviews to find the perfect set of dog stairs for your pup.
How do you train an older stubborn dog to use stairs?
Begin training your dog to use stairs on a leash. Walk the dog up/down the stairs and keep pressure on the leash to prevent your dog from rushing or trying to jump the stairs – dogs who don’t know what they’re doing are more likely to injure themselves trying to use the stairs, as they don’t know how to coordinate their leg movements to use the stairs properly.
Going up stairs is easiest to start with. Lift your dog onto the stairs so their front paws are on a step higher than their back paws. Keep pressure on the leash to prevent the pup from rushing and lay food in front of them to destress them. Coax them up the stairs with food treats on each step. If they won’t move, don’t jerk them or drag them, instead encourage them excitedly. Make the experience a positive one for them. Repeat the exercise two or three times until they are confident in their abilities. For going down, do the same, but in reverse.
Other Dog Steps We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other dog stairs. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog stairs list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Folding Dog Stairs
These four-step folding pet stairs are great for indoors or outdoors use. Durable and easy to clean, they are made to last.
- Folding, durable steps
- Built in safety rails
- Perfect for travelling and easy storage
These foldable pet stairs are great if you’re constantly moving your pet around your home or travelling with them. Light and compact, they’re easy to put up and carry.
- Lightweight, compact and portable
- Recommended for pets under 40 lb
- Durable and easy to clean
These pet stairs are the perfect stairs for helping your pup up onto a high bed or sofa. Available in 3 or 4 step design, the top stair folds back for easy transporting.
- Anti-slip bottom
- Space saving with a foldable top step
- Made in the USA
PetSafe Solvit also do a set of pet stairs just for large dogs. These foldable, X-large pet stairs are perfect for medium to large dogs with a specially designed tread size and spacing to make the steps comfortable for them.
- Best for medium or large dogs
- Specially designed tread size and spacing for larger dogs
- Foldable and easy to clean
These elegant dog stairs are a far cry from the plastic steps so readily available. The beautiful wooden construction with rich espresso color is suitable for small and medium dogs.
- Four stairs and the height is adjustable
- Foldable for easy transport and storage
- Wide steps for your pet’s comfort
- No assembly required
These simple, plastic folding pet steps are perfect for travelling or for using in the house, and at such a low price, they are a bargain .
- Lightweight, folding steps
- Durable and easy to clean
- Suitable for small and medium dogs
These portable, washable and folding pet stairs enable your pet to reach high surfaces safely.
- Holds small to medium sized dogs – up to 120 lb
- Simple to assemble, constructed in less than one minute
- Easy to clean and disassemble
Rigid Dog Stairs
The perfect pet stairs for small to medium pets. Non folding, but the step size and space means your pup is comfortable using these steps every time.
- Non-folding design
- Suitable for small and medium dogs
- Lightweight – just 3 lb making them easy to move around the house
These dog stairs from Petmate are lightweight and non slip, perfect for any size of pup.
- Lightweight and easy to move
- Non-skid and non-scuff rubber feet to protect your floors
- Decorative fabric treads create a non-slip surface for pets
The ideal dog stairs to help your dog get up on a high bed or sofa. These steps are suitable for use at home and their lightweight makes them portable too.
- Hold dog up 175 lb
- Lightweight but sturdy
- Ideal for older pets suffering from arthritis, pain, hip dysplasia
Dog Stairs With Washable Covers
These pet stairs are ideal for senior, arthritic or recovering dogs (or cats). The pet step cushion will help reduce the risk of injury and as it’s made of foam it won’t bruise your legs when you walk into it in the middle of the night.
- Made of sturdy foam
- Ideal for senior, arthritic or dogs recovering from injury
- Washable cover
This high density CertiPUR-US certified foam interior is ideal for smaller sized pets.
- Ideal for smaller pets
- Removable and washable cover
- Easy assembly
Zinus 3 step pet stairs are made from high density CertiPUR-US certified foam, so you know you’re bringing a safe item into your home.
- Ideal for small or medium sized pets
- Removable and washable cover
- No assembly required
Pet Gear’s three step pet stairs are ideal if you have an exceptionally high bed or sofa. With their wider and deeper stairs, they are perfect for large dogs and small.
- Suitable for big and small dogs
- Carpet tread is removable for easy washing
- Easy assembly not requiring any tools
YOFIT doggy steps are non slip steps with silicon suckers on the bottom, meaning the steps are fixed in position. Capable of holding up to 70 lb, these steps are great for both small and medium sized dogs.
- Holds dogs or cats up to 70 lb.
- Quick easy assembly – no tools required
- Removable, washable cover
- Steps are padded for extra support
These 2-step extra wide pet stairs will hold dogs up to 200-pounds. Suitable for small to x-large dogs.
- Wider and deeper stair treads for medium and large dogs
- Carpet tread remove easily and are machine washable
- Rubber grippers on bottom keep step secure and in place
- Easy assemble
These three step dog stairs by Zinus are available for small dogs to x-large dogs.
- Ideal for medium sized dogs
- High density CertiPUR-US certified foam interior
- Removable and washable cozy cover
These pet stairs are ideal for tall beds, but suitable for lightweight dogs only, holding up to 50lb.
- Anti slip bottom making the steps very sturdy
- Removable, washable cover
- Easy assembly requiring no tools
Dog Stairs For Cars
These lightweight folding pet stairs are great for getting your pup into and out of the car. They fold down for easy transport and storage and at just 7 lb, perfect for carrying around.
- Bottom rubber pads for traction
- Anti slip fabric for your pets safety
- Adjustable height
Flight Bird pet ramp dog car stairs are lightweight and durable, made from stainless steel and a waterproof non slip fabric. Weighing just 9 lb, these dog stairs can support a pup up to 100 lb.
- Space saving, foldable design
- Lightweight and durable
- Stable and safe, even in the rain
- Adjustable gradient and height