There are a multitude of reasons you might want to keep your dog confined to a particular area of the house — your dog’s safety, concerns about damage to fragile areas of your home, or even an unpredictable relationship with other animals in the home. Dog gates temporarily block off sections of your home to keep your pet away from dangerous or harmful situations. They allow you to keep your dog in a confined space while giving him more room to roam about than a crate, which can feel more cramped.
We looked at dozens of dog gates in order to find the best, highest-quality, most secure gates at any budget, based on factors such as quality of materials, Amazon ratings, and other considerations. We narrowed our search down to five of the top-rated gates that are on the market today. In shopping for a dog gate (and in reviewing our best dog gate list), you might notice that many gates are marketed towards babies. Don’t worry; baby gates work just as well for your furry friend.
We’ve identified the Internet’s Best Traditional Dog Gate as the best gate overall. While it’s a little pricier than some of our gate picks, it is expandable to fit a multitude of doorways, made of high-quality wood, and built to last. These features, coupled with the fact that it comes in two heights, two widths, and two colors to match any decor, make it an excellent choice for smart dog owners.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Gates
|Best Overall||Internet's Best Traditional Dog Gate||4.7|
|Runner Up||Regalo Home Accents Extra Tall Walk Thru Gate||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||Carlson Metal Expandable Pet Gate||4.1|
|Best Puppy Gate||Richell Freestanding Pet Gate HL Series||4.4|
|Best Dog Enclosure||MidWest Foldable Metal Exercise Pen/Pet Playpen||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Internet’s Best Traditional Dog Gate
If you’re looking for a dog gate that knocks the rest out of the park, look no further than the Internet’s Best Traditional Dog Gate. It’s made of solid wood and sealed with a sleek finish (choose from white or espresso) that adds a decorative touch to your home. The gate comes in a multitude of sizes to fit many doorways. The 24-inch height allows you to step over the barrier if needed, while the 36-inch height provides more protection for larger dogs. The gate also comes in two width options to fit a multitude of openings.
To use, simply fold out the gate into a Z-shape. In this position, it’s free-standing and can be used in front of doorways, hallways, and staircases. When not in use, the gate folds down to just over two inches for easy storage.
Reviewers love that the gate is sturdy, solid, and looks more expensive than it is. They also like that the gate provides a bit of decorative touch to their home that was lacking in other plastic or metal gates. Reviewers agree that this gate stands up to even their “Houdini” escape artists and Olympic-style jumpers.
Internet’s Best Traditional Dog Gate Key Features:
- Comes in two heights: 24 inches and 36 inches
- Available in three panels and four panels to fit a multitude of doorways and staircases
- Choose between white and espresso to match any decor
- Includes heavy-duty hinges
- Folds down for easy storage
Our Runner Up: Regalo Home Accents Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate
If you’re looking for a taller gate that will keep medium and large dogs contained, the Regalo Home Accents Gate is a great option. This gate is 37 inches tall and stands up to even the toughest dogs. It features a walk-through gate with a safety lock that will let you through, but keep Fido out. The gate attaches to your doorway with an easy-to-install pressure mount. It also includes hardware for a more permanent and secure installation, making it impossible for your dog to knock the gate over and break through. The gate also comes with four and six-inch extension kits so it can fit a multitude of openings.
The gate is constructed with steel and features a New Zealand pine accent that adds a decorative touch to your home. It folds flat for easy storage.
Reviewers love that this gate can stand up to even their strongest and most rambunctious pups. They also love the easy walk through design that doesn’t require trying to step over the gate or taking it down each time they walk through.
Regalo Home Accents Gate Key Features:
- Stands 37 inches tall and fits openings 29 to 43 inches wide
- Walk-through gate with a safety lock
- Easy-to-install pressure mount
- Four and six-inch extension kits to fit even more openings
- Constructed of solid steel for long-lasting security
Our Budget Pick: Carlson Metal Expandable Pet Gate
At just $21.99, the Carlson Metal Expandable Pet Gate is the best dog gate for budget-friendly pet owners who don’t want to sacrifice quality for price. This gate is small but mighty. Made of solid steel, the gate stands 24 inches tall and expands to fit openings from 26 to 42 inches wide. An easy install pressure mount requires no tools to install. It also has soft rubber bumpers to protect walls.
One feature of this gate that can’t be overlooked is the unique small pet door located at the bottom of the gate. This allows small pets, like cats, pass through while keeping your dog contained. This is perfect for pet owners of multiple pets who have differing needs. There is a locking pin system that keeps the small gate closed when needed.
Reviewers love that the gate is sturdy, well made, and easy to install. It’s also lead-free, non-toxic, and virtually chew-proof. Reviewers also like the fact that the slats in the gate are close enough together to keep their small dogs contained.
Carlson Metal Expandable Pet Gate Key Features:
- Expands 26 to 42 inches wide and stands 24 inches tall
- Small pet door lets small pets pass through
- All-steel construction makes it chew-proof
- Pressure mounted installation
Best Puppy Gate: Richell Freestanding Pet Gate HL Series
If you’re looking for a safe and secure gate for your puppy or small to medium-sized dog, the Richell Freestanding Pet Gate HL Series delivers. This is a freestanding and self-supporting gate. It features a beautiful hardwood finish with wire mesh. The gate requires no installation. Simply pick up the pet gate, adjust the width from 39/4 to 70.9 inches, and place it wherever you need it. Four screws will keep the gate in place. The gate itself stands 23.6 inches tall and is easy to step over when needed.
If you need to transport it or store the gate, the supports fold back and the gate folds flat. It’s lightweight for easy carrying.
Reviewers love that the gate is sturdy and solid. They report that it’s secure for their small and medium size pets, who can’t move the gate away from the doorway and break free. They also appreciate the aesthetically pleasing design made of rubberwood and wire mesh.
Richell Freestanding Pet Gate HL Series Key Features:
- Stands 23.6 inches tall
- Can fit openings from 39.4 to 70.9 inches
- Recommended for small dogs from 6.5 to 33 pounds
- Includes a 90-day warranty
Best Dog Enclosure: MidWest Foldable Metal Exercise Pen/Pet Playpen
Sometimes a puppy gate just isn’t going to cut it — especially if you have large hallways or doorways. In these cases, an enclosure for your dog will be the perfect fit. If you’re looking for an enclosure, the MidWest Foldable Metal Exercise Pen/Pet Playpen delivers. The pen provides 16 square feet of enclosed area for your pet. It features eight panels, each measuring 24 inches in width. It comes in five heights for dogs of varying sizes: 24 inches, 30 inches, 36 inches, 42 inches, and 48 inches. The pen folds completely flat for convenient storage.
The pen can be used both indoors and outdoors. It features a durable black e-coat finish that protects against rust and outdoor elements. Reviewers love the lightweight portability of the pen. It’s easy to take with you for travel and camping.
The pen has four thumb-snaps that hold it in place. Reviewers report that it’s easy to set-up and requires no tools for assembly. It includes eight ground anchors for outdoor use.
MidWest Foldable Metal Exercise Pen/Pet Playpen Key Features:
- Comes in five heights for varying size dogs
- 16 square feet enclosed area
- Durable black e-coat finish
- Includes a one-year manufacturer’s warranty
Who Should Buy a Dog Gate
Dog gates keep your pet out of harm’s way and confined to a particular area of your home. You might want to keep your dog out of particular areas of your home for his own safety, such as keeping away from the hot oven and stove or blocking off an area where chemicals are stored. Or, you might be concerned about your dog causing damage to fragile areas of your home, like chewing up the couch cushions in your living room. Or, your dog might have an unpredictable relationship with another dog or cat in the home, and you need to keep them separate.
No matter what your particular situation entails, a dog crate allows you to keep your dog in a confined space. They differ from a crate in that they give your pooch a little more room to roam about than a crate, which may feel cramped. Often, they’re also more portable than a crate and easy to bring with you when needed.
Important Features to Consider
A dog gate should be safe and secure. It should be constructed of quality materials that will stand up to your pooch, especially if he’s a heavy chewer. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog gate:
- Sizing considerations. First, you’ll need to measure the opening of the area you want to close off. The size of the doorway, hallway, staircase, or other opening you have will directly impact the type of dog gate you’ll need to purchase. Some dog gates are intended for small doorways, such as 42 inches, while others expand to over 70 inches or more. If you have an extra-large opening, you might even need to opt for a dog enclosure to keep your dog contained in a particular area of your home.
- Quality of materials. You also want to think about the type of material your pet gate will be constructed with. If your dog is a heavy-chewer, you should avoid gates made of mesh, plastic, or even wire mesh. Instead, look for a heavy-duty steel construction that can’t be chewed.
- Installation method. There are a variety of different installation methods to choose from when it comes to pet gates, each depending upon your particular circumstance. Freestanding pet gates are the easiest to install as they require exactly no installation. They’re a great option if you have to regularly move the gate to different areas of your home and don’t want to deal with detaching and re-attaching it each time. However, some dogs can move these type of gates and break free, so they might not be the best option for strong escape artists. Other gates use a pressure mount installation that attaches directly to the doorway. Tension-fitted gates can be removed, but not for regular in-and-out access. You’ll need to either step over the gate or purchase a gate with a walk-through door. Many of these gates also give you to the option of wall mounts that are more likely to stay put, even with a persistent and strong pooch.
- Indoor or outdoor capability. Many pet gates are only intended for indoor use. If you’re looking for a gate, such as on a deck, you’ll need to search for a gate constructed with materials for outdoor-rated materials, such as e-coated steel or weather-resistant wood.
- Colors and design. If you’re installing a pet gate into a doorway and planning on keeping it up for a long time, you want it to match the decor of your home. You can find pet gates in a variety of materials and colors that suit any decor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I use a pet gate?
Pet gates keep your dog out of harm’s way by restricting his access to certain rooms. For example, you might want to keep your dog out of the kitchen so he won’t get hurt by the hot oven. Or, maybe your dog likes to chew the leg of your hardwood dining room table and you’d like to keep him out of that room. A pet gate can keep your dog contained, but can be a better alternative to a dog crate that may feel cramped. Many pet gates are also more portable and easy to bring with you whenever needed. They also allow your dog to see and hear you from the other room, which may keep your pooch calmer and less likely to misbehave.
Are dog gates easy to install?
Most dog gates are very easy to install. Some gates feature pressure mount systems, which require you to fit the gate inside a doorway or room entrance and tighten it up. Some feature wall mounts, where you have to screw in hardware to your doorway or entrance area. Freestanding gates require no installation and can easily be moved from room to room.
Can I still use a plastic or wire mesh gate if my dog is an aggressive chewer?
Plastic and wire mesh gates are not designed to withstand heavy-duty chewing from your pooch. Wire mesh gates may seem more durable, but they can come apart and hurt your dog’s mouth and teeth if he’s an aggressive chewer. Instead, look for a pet gate made of metal or steel that’s strong enough to stand up to chewing.
What safety considerations should I know when choosing a dog gate?
When selecting a dog gate, be sure to keep your dog’s size and behavior in mind. You’ll need to find a gate that won’t tip over when your dog presses up against it, is tall enough that he can’t jump over it, and does not have widely spaced slats where your dog could get stuck. You’ll also need to consider your dog’s chewing behavior and select a gate that is able to withstand his chewing.
Other Dog Gates We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other dog gates. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog gates list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
The Regalo gate features an easy one hand open and safety latch that allows you to walk through the gate. It features a pressure mount system that’s easy on your wall and requires no tools to install.
- Fits doorways and openings from 29 to 39 inches wide
- Stands 31 inches tall
- Is certified by the American Society of Testing Materials and Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association
The Evenflo gate is a classic pressure-style pet gate with a notched locking bar that makes for easy installation and re-installation. It’s 32 inches tall and is perfect for pets that can jump over smaller gates.
- Expands to fit doorways from 31 to 50 inches
- 32 inches tall
- No tools required for installation.
The Carlson extra wide gate is perfect for wide openings that are too big for regular gates. It also features a small pet door that allows small pets, like cats, to pass through while keeping your dog secure.
- Fits openings between 29 to 37 inches wide
- Small pet door measures 10 by 7 inches
- Includes a walk-through gate
If you’re looking for an attractive gate that adds a decorative touch to your home, the Safety 1st decor gate is a perfect fit. It also features an indicator that alerts you when the gate is securely locked in place.
- 36 inches high and can be adjusted to fit openings from 29 to 47 inches
- Constructed of heavy-duty metal
- Can be installed using hardware or a pressure-mounted system
The Evenflo soft and wide gate is made of fabric mesh and is even completely machine washable. It is lightweight and portable and easy to bring with you wherever needed
- Gate is 27 inches tall and expands from 38 from 60 inches wide
- Pressure mounted with bumpers to prevent damage to walls
- Best for puppies and small dogs
The Summer Infant gate features several different configurations for different openings. It includes one 8.75 inch extension and two 4.25 inch extensions, which allow it to fit a multitude of doorways from 28 to 48 inches.
- Can be installed using a pressure mount or hardware mount
- Features an auto-closing design that closes the gate behind you
- The gate door opens in either direction with one hand
The Dreambaby Chelsea can accommodate openings of 38 to 42.5 inches wide and is 29.5 inches tall. It features a pressure mounted gate making installation a breeze.
- The gate features a stay-open option for whenever you want the gate to remain open, such as when carrying laundry or entertaining guests
- The EZY-Check indicator will tell you if your gate is securely locked
- Made of strong, high-quality metal
If you’re looking for an outdoor pet gate, the Cardinal Gates Outdoor Child Safety Gate is a perfect pick. With all stainless steel hardware and lightweight aluminum construction, it’s 100% weatherproof and built to last.
- Available in brown, white, or black
- Adjustable to fit openings from 27 inches to 42 ½ inches
- Stands 29.5 inches tall
The Evenflo Expansion is a perfect option for wide doorways and entryways. It features an easy safety latch to open the gate and allows you to pass through.
- Fits a broad range of openings from 24 inches to 60 inches
- Stands 32 inches tall
- Easily swings in either direction, making it ideal for heavy traffic areas
The Safety 1st eco-friendly gate is an eco-conscious pet gate that fits doorways from 27 to 42 inches. It’s easy to install in a doorway or opening and remove when not needed.
- Made of bamboo and 100% recycled plastic
- Can be installed using a pressure mounted system or hardware
- Comes in neutral tones to match any decor
The Petmaker gate is free-standing and requires no tools for installation. Just unfold into an accordion shape and set in front of the doorway or entrance area you want to block off.
- Fits openings up to 52 inches wide
- Comes in four colors to match any decor
- Easily folds up for easy storage and transport
The Richell gate is constructed of wood with wire mesh. It is freestanding and features rubber feet that protect your floors.
- Fits openings 26.4 inches to 40.2 inches
- Recommended for small dogs 6.5 to 17.5 lbs
- Comes in three colors
The Carlson gate includes three configurable panels that cover openings up to 76 inches wide. It also features a pet gate for small pets, such as cats, who need to get in and out of the room.
- 30 inches tall
- Convenient walk-through design includes safety locking feature
- Folds down for easy storage
When no other gate will fit, the Four Paws gate just might. It expands to fit opens from 48 to 110 inches.
- Sets up in seconds with no tools required
- Collapses flat for easy storage
- Natural wood design that blends into your decor
The Kleeger gate is a freestanding gate that can expand to fit doorways up to 45 inches wide. It is easy to set up with no tools required; simply unfold into a semi-oval pattern.
- Stands 20 inches tall
- Weights just 8.5 pounds for easy portability
- Made with real wood with a beautiful black finish
The PAWLAND Home Wooden Freestanding Foldable Pet Gate is a pet fence, room divider, and pet pen all in one. It quickly unfolds like an accordion and requires no tools for assembly.
- Stands 24 inches tall
- 4 panels
- Works on both hard floors and carpeting
No more moving your expandable dog gate whenever you need to get through the doorway. The Primetime Petz gate is an expandable dog gate with a door you can step through.
- Comes in three heights: 24 inches, 30 inches, and 36 inches
- Expands to fit openings up to 72 inches
- Hinges rotate 360 degrees for unlimited configurations
The Animals Favorite features a unique woven barrier that easily retracts to let you through. It fits openings up to 45 inches
- Stands 32.5 inches tall
- Easy assembly
- Durable woven mesh fabric allows your pet to see you through the gate
The IRIS playpen provides eight square feet of space for your small and medium-sized dog to play. It features a small door to let your pet in and out.
- Comes in eight colors and has an option for a mesh roof
- Measures 35.25 by 35.25 by 24 inches
- Made of heavy-duty molded plastic
The North States pet enclosure features an exclusive pet door that swings freely to allow your pet to come and go as they please. If you want to contain your pet, it can lock to offer you peace of mind.
- Encloses up to 34 square feet and is 26 inches high
- Comes with skid-resistant pads that won’t slip on a variety of floors
- Can be used indoors or outdoors