We dog parents have a responsibility to our puppy wards to ensure that they are looked after to the best of our ability. That involves loving them, keeping them warm and dry, exercising them, entertaining them and feeding them the best dog food available and suitable for their diet. However, dry dog food, once opened, regardless of the best before date stamped on the side of the packet, will go off much more quickly, if it isn’t stored correctly.
Once dry dog food is opened and exposed to the elements, air and moisture quickly get at, and the dog food will begin to degrade. To prevent that from happening, the best way to store an open bag of dog food and prevent it from spoiling, is in a dog food storage container. We reviewed dozens of dog food storage containers to identify the best of the best, using the container’s capacity and airtightness as a guide.
The IRIS 3-Piece Airtight Pet Food Container Combo stood out head and shoulders above the other dog food containers as our top pick. No only is this combo dog food container portable thanks to its wheels, but because there are two of them you can keep one in your garage and one in a kitchen cupboard, neither going off. And best of all, it comes with its own 2-cup scoop, an airtight lid, is BPA-free, and with almost 8,000 reviews on Amazon, it maintains a 4.3 star average. And at $27, it is a great value for the money. You get a lot of bang for your buck with this one.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Best Dog Food Storage Containers/Bins
|Best Overall||IRIS 3-Piece Airtight Pet Food Container Combo||4.3|
|Runner Up||Behrens Galvanized Steel Locking Lid Can||4.1|
|Best Budget Buy||IRIS Nesting Airtight Pet Food Container||4.3|
|Best Plastic Dog Food Storage Container||Komax Biokips Large Dog Food Storage Container||4.4|
|Best Airtight Dog Food Storage Container||Snapware Airtight 40-Cup Dog Food Storage Container||4.2|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: IRIS 3-Piece Airtight Pet Food Container Combo
The IRIS 3-Piece Airtight Pet Food Container Combo was the clear winner out of all the dog food storage containers available. This three piece combo includes a 33-quart airtight container, a 12-quart airtight container, and a 2-cup matching food scoop, perfect for storing the majority of the dog food where you have space, in a garage for example, and you can top up the smaller container and keep it in your kitchen or where you feed your dog. And no more guessing how much Fido gets each meal time with a measuring cup included.
As a guide to how much each airtight dog food container holds, the 33-quart container stores up to 25 pounds of dog food, and the 12-quart container stores up to 10 pounds of dog food. Both containers have airtight seals and snap-lock latches designed to keep out moisture, humidity and pests, to ensure your dog’s food stays fresh for longer.
IRIS 3-Piece Airtight Pet Food Container Combo Key Features:
- Made in the USA
- BPA free and manufactured from FDA compliant material
- Three piece combo at a low cost
Our Runner Up Pick: Behrens Galvanized Steel Locking Lid Can
The Behrens Galvanized Steel Locking Lid Can was our runner up as again it came in with such a cheap price for such a great dog food storage bin. Not only is this multi use container ideal for storing dog food in, it is weather resistant too, meaning that it won’t degrade if you leave it outdoors accidentally, nor will it warp and crack or fade, like plastic tends to do if left exposed to the elements.
The Behrens Galvanized Steel Locking Lid Can is the perfect can to hold your surplus dog food as it has a 4-gallon capacity, meaning it is big enough to hold your dog food, while small enough to tuck away into a kitchen cupboard. The locking lid seals tightly ensuring the contents stay fresh and don’t spill if the container is kicked over, and being made out of stainless steel makes this dog food container impervious to any little critters that might try and get inside it.
The 4 gallon can also has a handle for easy transport so moving it around with you when you go away with your pet is a simple operation.
Behrens Galvanized Steel Locking Lid Can Key Features:
- 4-gallon capacity
- Will not crack or fade in extreme temperatures
- It is rodent proof and won’t absorb odors
Best Budget Pick: IRIS Nesting Airtight Pet Food Container
The best budget pick winner was clearly the IRIS Nesting Airtight Pet Food Container because with just under 3,000 reviews and an average star rating of 4.3, and at only $15, this pet food container has an airtight seal and snap lock latch to ensure your dog’s food remains as fresh as it can, keeping out moisture, humidity, and any pests that might spoil it. The tapered container makes it easy to scoop out dog food and with 4 wheels, this dog food container is perfect for easy mobility.
IRIS do a range of nesting airtight containers, available in a variety of sizes to hold from 6 pounds up to 50 pounds of dog food, so whether you have a teacup chihuahua or a great dane, IRIS have a dog food container that will match your needs.
The IRIS Nesting Airtight Pet Food Container is the best, low cost choice for all your dog food storage needs allowing you to easily check the contents of this translucent container, meaning you will never run out of your dog’s food ever again, as you can gauge the amount you have left and order accordingly.
IRIS Nesting Airtight Pet Food Container Key Features:
- Holds up to 25 lbs of dog food
- Translucent body allows you to check the food levels at a glance
- Made in the USA with BPA-free material
Best Plastic Dog Food Storage Container: Komax Biokips Large Dog Food Storage Container
The Komax Biokips Large Dog Food Storage Container is the winner of the Best Plastic Dog Food Storage Container category as it is a superb dispenser for dry dog food. Its durable, stackable and sizeable features make it stand out above the rest. The sleek open door hatch with a snap in place lock, and with its own measuring cup, makes it easy to scoop out the amount of dog food required. Whilst the airtight lid ensures the remaining dog food stays fresh when the lid is closed.
Made of PP, a BPA-free eco-friendly material that’s lab tested and FDA approved, this dog food storage container is food safe and best of all, the container is heat-resistant and dishwasher safe (without the lid). Finally, the Komax large dog food container is a large and spacious container, big enough to store 16 pounds of dog food in. Perfect for all your dog food storage needs.
Komax Biokips Large Dog Food Storage Container Key Features:
- Easy to clean and remarkably convenient for endless use
- BPA-free and FDA-approved
- Scooper (1 cup) for easy measurements
Best Airtight Dog Food Storage Container: Snapware Airtight 40-Cup Dog Food Storage Container
The Snapware Airtight 40-Cup Dog Food Storage Container is our best airtight dog food storage container pick out of all the dog food storage containers we reviewed, and with almost 1,500 positive Amazon reviews, this dog food storage container is also a great, low cost option. The Snapware Airtight Dog Food Storage Container comes in a variety of sizes, ranging from 0.5 cups up to 40 cups, so if you only have a small dog, you can snap up an even better bargain at an even cheaper price.
The airtight container has a leak-proof lid with 4 locking tabs that open and shut easily. All of the container is easy to wash as all parts are removable and being made of BPA-free polypropylene, both the container and lid are microwave, freezer, and dishwasher (lid top-rack only) safe. And best of all, the Snapware Airtight 40-Cup Dog Food Storage Container, like all of the Snapware plastic products, come with a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturer defect.
Snapware Airtight 40-Cup Dog Food Storage Container Key Features:
- Available in sizes 0.5 cups to 40 cups
- Oversized handle makes the container easy to transport
- Cheapest option available for the size of the container
Who Should Buy a Dog Food Storage Containers/Bins
Anyone with a dog should take the responsibility to look after them seriously, and one of those responsibilities is to ensure that the dog is well fed. And you can pick the best allergy free dog food to keep your pup healthy and happy, but if you’re not storing it correctly you may as well be throwing your money into the street.
Many dog owners simply keep the dog food in the bag it arrived in, with the top open to the elements, and then wonder why the dog food keeps going rancid. You wouldn’t leave the food you were about to eat out to entice flies and pests to come and walk all over it, so why do it for your dog’s food?
Another great feature of a dog food storage container, besides maximizing the freshness of your pup’s supper, is that it will also withstand the attempts of your pup to access it – a rigid plastic container is going to fare better against persistent puppy claws than a paper sack will. Because have no doubt, if your dog is given free access to his food, you can bet your bottom dollar he will do everything in his power to get at it.
Important Features to Consider
A dog food storage container should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog food storage container/bin:
- Airtight. You want your dog food container to be airtight. As soon as you open your dog’s food you begin the oxidation process, whereby the fats in the kibble begin to degrade until they become rancid. A lot of dog owners will simply transfer their dog’s food into any old tupperware container, which is a good idea in theory, that and they’re cheap at half the price, but they aren’t renowned for being airtight. Because if you’re investing heavily in purchasing the best dog food for your pup that money can buy, you don’t want it going off before you’ve finished the bag. Also, if you purchase fish based kibble for your pup, you really don’t want that smell to permeate your house. It is not pleasant.
- Puppy proof. If given half the chance, your dog will be nose first into his bag of dog food, gorging himself silly. No doubt about it. Dogs will be dogs. So you want the storage container to be sturdy enough to withstand their dastardly attempts to gain access to the delicious contents contained within.
- Size. This one is simple because at the end of the day, the size of the storage container you purchase depends on the amount of dog food you require each time. There is no point splashing out on the largest dog food storage container you can find when you only purchase small bags of kibble. Not only are you exposing the kibble to more air, but you’re also taking up valuable space in your home that could otherwise be put to better use.
- Material. If you’re going to be storing dog food in a container, you want that container to be BPA-free and food-safe. You wouldn’t eat food that had been stored unsafely, so don’t store your dog’s food in a container that might poison him. Opt for BPA-free plastic or stainless steel containers as a guide.
- Stackable. If you have more than one dog or pet and they eat different sorts of food, you might want to consider investing in stackable food storage containers, we have reviewed a few for you to compare. These stackable dog food containers save space and keep your pet’s food safe.
- Store and feed. Some dog food storage containers are two in one feeding stations. Great if you are short on space because you can store your dog’s food directly beneath his bowls, so when it’s dinner time, you don’t have to go far to feed him.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best way to store dog food?
Dry dog food, once opened and exposed to light begins to oxidize, this is when the dog food begins to turn rancid.
The best way to prevent this oxidation from occurring is to store dog food in airtight containers and out of direct sunlight.
Because a lot of the manufacturers invest heavily in their R&D to maximize the shelf life of their dog food products, they will have gone to great lengths to create a bag that the dog food can last in. So one of the best ways to store your dog’s food is in its original packaging, and to maintain a tight seal, place that bag inside an airtight container. And keep that container out of the light. In a garage, a cupboard, under the stairs, all are great options.
Storing your dog food this way will also prevent any critters or creatures from getting at it too.
The best way to store canned dog food, once you’ve opened it, is in the fridge. You can either keep the dog food in the can or you can transfer it to a sealable plastic container, either works fine. Just don’t keep an opened can of dog food in the fridge for longer than 5 days. Either use it, or bin it.
Freeze dried or dehydrated foods should be used within a few weeks of opening as they have a much shorter shelf life than dry dog food. It’s really important to store freeze dried dog food away from any sources of moisture as it’s the moisture that brings these foods to life and will ultimately make them go off. If you store your freeze dried food in a sealed container in a cool, very dry place, or even in the freezer, you can extend the shelf life of it.
Raw dog food should be stored for 1-2 days tops. The point of it is that it is raw, unprocessed and so will spoil quickly. Frozen raw food is fine to keep frozen for up to 6 months but after that, you should look to use it as quickly as possible. Once you’ve defrosted raw dog food, you have 1-2 days to use it.
How long can you keep dry dog food?
Dry dog food once opened, if kept in a cool, dark place in an airtight container, has a shelf life of 2-6 months. Always consult the use by date printed on the side of the packet to judge how long the food has once opened. And if in doubt, feed your dog the food within 6 weeks of opening the packet.
Can you refrigerate dog food?
Dog food doesn’t ordinarily need to be refrigerated. Canned dog food is designed to last years in its original can, however once opened, canned dog food should be refrigerated for up to 5 days maximum.
Does dog food go stale?
Dog food, like any consumable, won’t last forever. Yes, it is made to last a long time, but it is perishable at the end of the day, even if that day is years away. However, once a packet of dry dog food is open, you set the clock counting down until it goes bad. Dog food won’t go stale like bread will, instead once the fats in the kibble start to oxidize, they will begin to sour, and you’ll notice a sour, rancid odor coming from the dog food. If this happens, dispose of the dog food immediately.
Other Dog Food Storage Containers/Bins We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other dog food storage containers/bins. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog food storage containers/bins list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Plastic Dog Food Storage Containers
- Metal Dog Food Storage Containers
- Stackable Dog Food Storage Containers
- Cloth Dog Food Storage Containers
Plastic Dog Food Storage Containers
This super cute dog food storage bin comes with its own 1 cup scoop which stores neatly in the lid, making this dog food bin not just stylish, but practical, too.
- Holds up to 15 pounds of dog food
- Gasket-sealed lid keeps pet food fresh
- Durable and easy to clean
This multipurpose dog food storage container is perfect for humid and arid climates as the airtight lid prevents any moisture from getting in and spoiling the dog food.
- BPA free, FDA approved, food contact safe resin
- Airtight lid
- Made in USA
This tall dog food container holds up to 40 pounds of dog food and is a great space saver as well as being airtight.
- Airtight seal keeps the dog food fresh
- Dog food odor is contained in the vault
- Holds 40 lbs of dog food
This handy combination feeder with airtight storage is an elevated feeder to improve your dog’s digestion and helps reduce neck muscle strain.
- Combined airtight storage with dog feeder
- Airtight seals & snap-lock latches keep dry food fresh & pests out
- Includes 2 stainless steel bowls which are removable for easy cleaning
With a patented lid locking system, these dog food storage bins are guaranteed to be leak-proof and watertight.
- Four-hinge locking system and silicone sealing lid
- Made from BPA free material that ensures containers are safe and eco-friendly
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
Rubbermaid’s commercial dog food bin is great for ensuring your dog food remains fresh with its hinged lid that seals in freshness.
- Easy, one-handed access to stored dog food
- Opaque door for easy identification of food
- Integrated scoop complies with food codes
This cute dog food bin includes a 1 cup measuring scoop that locks into the lid.
- Gasket-sealed lid keeps pet food fresh
- Holds up to 15 pounds of dog food
- Flat-backed design sits flush against the wall
Metal Dog Food Storage Containers
This retro style dog food storage tin will work with any decor in any home. It is cute, functional and budget friendly.
- Made of enamel
- Handles to each side and the lid
- Comes with a scoop for easy measuring
This stylish dog food storage can is the perfect addition to any home, combining aesthetics with functionality, Simplehuman have really hit the mark with this bin.
- Silicone gasket forms an airtight seal keeps food fresh
- Magnetic lid-mounted scoop
- Lock-tight handle clamps shut
- Removable BPA-free inner bucket
This sage green dog food storage container is manufactured from rustproof, galvanized steel, meaning it will last you as long as you have dogs.
- Made from long lasting galvanized steel
- Great for storing dog food
- Snap on lid (but not air tight)
This super stylish dog food storage container is not just chic, but it is practical too, capable of holding 40 lbs of dog food.
- Recycled steel
- FDA approved
- Offered in 3 sizes
Stackable Dog Food Storage Containers
This airtight stackable pet food container keeps your dog food fresh and odors contained in the vault.
- Airtight seal to keep dog food fresh
- Perfect for homes with two dogs
- Easy access and holds up to 60 lbs of food
This 10 gallon stackable blue storage container is available in a variety of pack size and container size, so if this is too big or too small, there is one suitable for you in a different size.
- Lid snaps securely to base
- Built from durable plastic that withstands ongoing use
- Set includes 5 plastic bins and 5 plastic lids. Made in the USA
This IRIS airtight dog food container has an airtight seal and snap lock latch to keep out moisture, humidity, and pests. The tapered container makes it easy to scoop out dog food.
- Holds up to 50 lbs dog food
- 4 wheels for easy mobility
- Made in the USA with BPA-free material
This three pack of stackable bins with hinged lids are ideal if you have more than one dog or pet at home. You can easily and conveniently store the different foods in one tall food tower.
- Three pack of bins with lids
- 24-quart size containers
- Stainless steel hinge on door lid
This storage bin with front flap is ideal for storing dog food. Its stackable features are also very handy if you need to store more than one type of dog food.
- Easy access front flap
- Bins stack on top of each other with or without lid
- 3 color-coded bins
This smart dog food container is squat, but capable of storing up to 50 pounds of dog food.
- Stackable design
- Airtight storage
- BPA free Plastic
- Easy one hand access for scooping
- Ability to access contents while stacked
This practical, heavy duty tote, is an ideal dog food storage bin. With a snap on lid and low profile, it can be stored beneath furniture and out of the way.
- Very simple and solid design
- Snap on lid
- Stackable for easy storage
This storage bin is a heavy-duty storage container perfect for holding up to 14 gallons of dog food.
- Heavy duty
- Stackable with ergonomic handles for easy lifting
- Lid snaps tight, keeping contents secure within
Cloth Dog Food Storage Containers
This collapsible storage bin is a great way to get your dog’s food bag off the ground, and if you’re not looking for a lidded storage bin, this is a cute, stylish alternative to hold your dog’s food.
- Multipurpose collapsible dog food storage bin with handles
- Available in a choice of designs
- Available in a variety of sizes