Does your dog chew every toy they get until it falls apart? Whether you’ve got a teething puppy or a large dog who’s an aggressive chewer, you’ll want to give them something to satisfy their urge. That’s where dog chew toys come in. Tough and (near to) indestructible, they’re a safe way for your dog to enjoy the health benefits of chewing.
We reviewed dozens of dog chew toys to identify the best of the best. We looked at their durability, size, whether or not you could combine them with a tasty treat, and just as importantly, how fun they were for dogs!
Our top pick, KONG Classic Dog Toy – Durable Natural Rubber, stood out for its huge play value, as well as its ability to withstand a lot of chewing. It was super popular with dog owners and pets alike! If you want a dog chew toy that your dog can actually play with as well as chew, it’s a great option.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Chew Toys
|Best Overall||KONG Classic Dog Toy - Durable Natural Rubber||4.6|
|Best Puppy Teething Toy||KONG Puppy Binkie - Soft Teething Rubber, Treat Dispensing Dog Toy||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||Nylabone Wishbone Power Chew Dog Toy||4.5|
|Best for Aggressive Chewers||Benebone Durable Wishbone Dog Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers||4.4|
|Best for Large Dogs||Nylabone Twin Pack Power Chew Flavored Durable Dog Chew Toys||4.6|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Dog Chew Toy Overall: KONG Classic Dog Toy – Durable Natural Rubber
KONG Classic Dog Toy – Durable Natural Rubber is a fantastic chew toy with a unique shape so that it bounces unpredictably. This sparks chase instincts and keeps your dog engaged for hours. It’s made from durable, natural rubber so your dog can chew it safely (instead of chewing up your slippers or furniture).
Unlike most other dog chew toys, KONG’s classic dog toy comes in a wide range of sizes. You’ve got 6 sizes to pick from, from XS all the way to XXL. That means that, whether you have a tiny dog or a huge one, you’re bound to find a version that works for you.
One great feature of this chew toy is that it’s really easy to stuff it with your dog’s favorite treats … or even a full meal! This can be a great way to stimulate your dog both mentally and physicaly, and can also help if your dog is a little prone to overeating. You can freeze the toy (and the foot inside) for 4 – 6 hours to make for an added challenge.
KONG Classic Dog Toy – Durable Natural Rubber Key Features:
- Designed to encourage healthy play and satisfy your dog’s instinctual needs, preventing them from getting bored
- Designed for average chewing dogs (KONG also has a different version for large and/or aggressive chewers)
- Dishwasher safe, making it easy to clean if you decide to stuff it with food
- Made in the USA (with globally sourced materials)
- Recommended by vets and trainers around the world
Best Puppy Teething Toy: KONG Puppy Binkie – Soft Teething Rubber, Treat Dispensing Dog Toy
Got a puppy who’s teething? Then KONG Puppy Binkie – Soft Teething Rubber, Treat Dispensing Dog Toy might be perfect for you. It’s made from soft rubber and it’s designed in a pacifier shape that’s customized for your puppy’s sore teeth and gums. There are two different sizes available, pink and blue (note that you can’t choose which color you receive, it’s random).
Like all KONG’s dog toys, these are made in the USA from globally sourced materials. You can stuff the teething toy with treats or snacks for your puppy, too. Several reviewers said that their dogs enjoyed carrying this binky around in their mouth and looked really cute. They’re durable and lasting, too, even though they’re made of soft rubber that’s fine for puppies to chew on.
KONG Puppy Binkie – Soft Teething Rubber, Treat Dispensing Dog Toy Key Features:
- A pacifier-shaped teething toy that’s suitable for puppies
- Can be easily filled with treats to keep your pooch occupied for longer
- Cute option if you want your fur baby to have a binky to chew on
- Great way to keep your pet occupied and prevent them from getting bored
- Will withstand a lot of chewing, and your dog will likely bounce it around for extra play value
Best Budget Dog Chew Toy: Nylabone Wishbone Power Chew Dog Toy
The Nylabone Wishbone Power Chew Dog Toy comes in two sizes, for different sized dogs. Both sizes are a great budget-friendly price. This chew toy is designed to be long-lasting, even if your dog is a powerful chewer. In fact, this version of Nylabone is for dogs who are “extreme” chewers.
This is a particularly good option for helping to keep your dog’s teeth clean. As they chew, bristles are raised from the toy: these help to clean your dog’s teeth and control plaque and tartar. They’re tough and hard for your dog to destroy, making them even more of a bargain. The Nylabone is chicken-flavored to make it extra enticing for your pet.
Nylabone Wishbone Power Chew Dog Toy Key Features:
- Great budget-friendly price for a toy that will keep your dog happy for hours
- Designed to withstand even powerful chewing from your pet
- Recommended by vets for keeping your dog’s teeth and gums healthy
- Will last a good while before needing replacing (reviewers suggested replacing it around every 6 – 12 months)
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee: if you’re not happy with it, you can return it to the manufacturer for a replacement
Best Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers: Benebone Durable Wishbone Dog Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers
Benebone Durable Wishbone Dog Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers comes in three different flavors: bacon, chicken, and peanut. There’s also a choice of four sizes, from small to giant, meaning you’re sure to find a version that’s just right for your pooch. Giant is suitable for dogs up to 120lbs! The flavors aren’t artificial: Benebone uses 100% real bacon, chicken, and peanuts to make the scent and flavor irresistible to your pup.
Even if your dog is an aggressive chewer, this wishbone will last them. It’s curved to make it easy for your pet to grab it in their paws and chew. The deep grooves also make it easy for your dog to get a good grip on this with both their paws and their teeth.
Benebone Durable Wishbone Dog Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers Key Features:
- Designed to be easy for your pet to grab and chew
- Will stand up to a lot of heavy chewing (though the manufacturer recommends replacing it every month or so)
- Made in the USA, with materials sourced in the USA too
- Company donates some of their products to shelters and rescues in the USA
- These are very hard so are only suitable for dogs with strong, healthy teeth: if you’re unsure, check with your vet
Best Chew Toy for Large Dogs: Nylabone Twin Pack Power Chew Flavored Durable Dog Chew Toys
Nylabone’s Twin Pack Power Chew Flavored Durable Dog Chew Toys are a great choice for large dogs. The pack comes with two different bones, one chicken flavor and one bacon flavor. They’re made of strong nylon, and as your dog chews, the nylon will form tiny bristles that help to clean their teeth as well as controlling tartar and plaque.
These are large bones, intended for dogs up to 50lbs, so they’re ideal if you’ve been struggling to find suitably sized toys for your larger dog. They can be hand-washed with warm, soapy water. They’re also a great option for aggressive chewers, as they can withstand a lot of chewing. Eventually, they can become sharp once they’ve worn down a lot, so you’ll want to check them regularly and replace them if needed.
Nylabone Twin Pack Power Chew Flavored Durable Dog Chew Toys Key Features:
- Two-pack of bone-shaped chew toys: one bacon flavor, one chicken flavor
- Helpful for keeping your pet’s teeth clean (and their jaws strong)
- Suitable for large dogs that are heavy chewers: these are really strong
- Durable and long-lasting: you’ll get months or even a year of play out of these
- Some reviewers said these worked fine even for dogs larger than 50lbs
Who Should Buy a Dog Chew Toy
Every dog needs a chew toy, even if they’re not an aggressive or heavy chewer. Your dog’s instinct to chew is a natural one, and a suitable chew toy helps them channel this safely and non-destructively. If your pooch has been chewing up shoes, slippers, or your furniture, then it’s definitely time to invest in a few durable dog chew toys!
Chewing is vital for your pet’s physical and mental health. It’s important all through your dog’s life, from their puppy days when they’re teething and learning to direct their biting urge appropriately, to their senior years when they may enjoy gently chewing on a soft rubber toy.
Chew toys aren’t especially expensive, so even if you’re on a tight budget, you should be able to find something that’s suitable. The most durable toys will last months or even years before they need replacing, too (and they can save you a fortune in replacing household items that your dog has chewed).
Important Features to Consider
A dog chew toy should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog chew toy for your pooch:
- How much chewing it’ll withstand. Let’s face it, a chew toy has one key purpose: to be chewed! You don’t want a toy that disintegrates after a few good chomps. Instead, you want something truly durable. Good chew toys will last your dog at least a month or two, even if they’re a heavy chewer.
- How safe it is. You definitely don’t want a chew toy that breaks into pieces your dog could swallow, or a small one that your large dog could easily swallow. Make sure you get a chew toy that’s the right size for your pet. You may also want to only choose chew toys manufactured in the USA, though keep in mind that there aren’t specific safety standards for dog chew toys, so even this isn’t a guarantee that a toy will be safe.
- Whether it has other features. Some chew toys are just designed to be chewed. Others have extra features to help entertain your pet. They might bounce, squeak, or have a hole that you can stuff with treats for your pet. If you have limited space or you’ll be traveling, you might want to go for an interactive dog toy that your pet can chew on and play with.
- Whether it’s suitable for your dog’s teeth. If your dog has really strong teeth and chews a lot, you’ll want a much harder chew toy than you’d buy for a puppy who’s teething or a senior dog who only nibbles on things. Don’t just go for the strongest chew toy out there: you don’t want your dog to break a tooth! Make sure you consult your vet about what’s going to be most suitable for your dog.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of dog chew toys?
Whether you have a puppy, an adult dog, or a senior dog, they need a dog chew toy. These toys have so many benefits for dogs of all ages. They’re good for your dog’s teeth and oral health, helping to clean their teeth and reduce tartar and plaque. They’re a source of entertainment and comfort for your pet, so they’re particularly helpful at times when your pet might be missing you (e.g. when you’re out at work or during the night).
Plus, dog chew toys are good for you! Obviously, we’re not suggesting you chomp on them yourself … but by giving them to your dog, you’ll be helping to direct their chewing urges away from your furniture and belongings. This can save you a lot of money in replacing things your dog has chewed to pieces, and can also mean you don’t need to supervise your dog so closely.
Why does my dog chew up every toy?
Dogs need to chew. It’s a natural instinct, and it’s good for their physical and mental wellbeing. If your dog keeps chewing up toys, then the answer isn’t to try to stop then chewing. Instead, make sure you buy toys that your dog can safely and happily chew. There are loads of different dog chew toys to choose from, and you’re bound to find something that your dog will love. Even chew toys will get worn down over time, though. They should be reasonably durable, lasting at least a month or two, but you’ll want to plan on replacing them fairly frequently.
Do dogs grow out of chewing?
Puppies often chew a lot when they’re teething, and adolescent dogs chew to explore their environment and get to grips with the world around them. This urge will diminish as they become adults, but almost all dogs will want to chew occasionally. Chew toys, and dental chews, can be a great way to direct their chewing urges appropriately.
You can help your dog by making sure you provide their chew toys for them to use, and redirect their attention onto their chew toys if they’re about to chew something unsuitable. Give them lots of praise and make a big fuss of them for chewing their toys rather than the furniture. You might also want to invest in things like a chew-proof dog bed, if your pet is particularly prone to chewing.
What can I give my dog instead of rawhide?
Rawhide chews are a popular option for dogs to chew on. They’re not a great choice, though, as they’re manufactured with the use of a lot of harsh chemicals, plus your dog can swallow pieces that break off. These can cause serious intestinal blockages.
There are plenty of things you can give your dog instead of rawhide. Dog chew toys, made of suitable materials like strong rubber, are a great option. Otherwise, you can try things like carrots, bully sticks, dog bones, and chews made from things like vegetables and chicken.
Other Dog Chew Toys We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other dog chew toys. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog chew toys, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Dog Chew Toys for Aggressive Chewers
- Dog Chew Toys for Puppies
- Interactive Dog Chew Toys
- Other Dog Chew Toys
Dog Chew Toys for Aggressive Chewers
These non-toxic nylon bone toys are nearly indestructible … but are also easy on your dog’s teeth. You can add a thin layer of treat paste to them to keep your dog engaged for longer, and you can choose from a range of sizes and flavors.
- Safe way to satisfy your dog’s desire to chomp on things
- Available in a range of sizes: go for one that’s wider than your dog’s mouth
- Really durable for aggressive chewers and should last for months
- Made using a “Smooth Scrape Technology” process for an extra firm and durable toy
- Lifetime replacement guarantee if you have any problems with the chew toy
This dog chew toy is made from durable nylon by Nylabone, a well-established US company that makes a wide range of dog chew toys.
- Range of sizes available, from X-Small/Petite (up to 15lbs) to X-Large/Souper (50+ lbs)
- Three different flavors to choose from: beef jerky, Philly cheesesteak, and bacon, egg, & cheese
- Great for heavy chewers and dogs that chew a lot
- Can be cleaned with hot soapy water
- Made in the USA with quality components
Cost: From $4
This long-lasting dog chew toy from Nylabone comes in three different sizes and has ridges and nubs to help clean your dog’s teeth. It’s bacon flavored to make it extra enticing.
- Available in three different sizes to suit your dog
- Made from durable nylon that won’t wear down easily
- Even the small version is suitable for powerful chewers
- Has four different chewing ends for your dog to easily hold it and chew
- Made in the USA by Nylabone, which has a great range of indestructible dog chew toys
Cost: From $6
This flavored chew toy comes in a range of sizes, all of which are suitable for powerful chewers. It should prove a hit with your dog.
- Range of different sizes available, from “X-small/petite” to “X-large/Souper” (largest size is suitable for dogs that are 50lbs+)
- Suitable for powerful chewers and will provide long-lasting enjoyment
- Can help to keep your dog’s teeth clean and their gums healthy
- Three flavors available, including bacon, chicken, and peanut butter
- Made in the USA by the long-established company Nylabone
Cost: From $3
This ring-shaped chew toy is textured to help clean your dog’s teeth and freshen their breath. It’s available in three sizes and three different flavors so you can get something that’s perfect for your dog.
- All three sizes are suitable for powerful, aggressive chewers
- With withstand even very heavy chewing
- Several reviewers warned that it does develop very sharp edges after a lot of chewing, so you’ll want to avoid stepping on it
- Make sure you check with your vet that it’s suitable for your dog, as it could crack your dog’s teeth if they’re not strong enough
- Made in the USA
Cost: From $6
This long-lasting toy bone, made from FDA-approved nylon, is available in a range of sizes and will withstand a lot of chewing. Several reviewers said it was the only toy they’d tried that remained intact!
- Available in a range of sizes, from L to XXXL, which is suitable for dogs over 70lbs
- Really sturdy and durable: will outlast many other chew toys
- The nylon doesn’t flake off too easily
- Choice of two flavors: bacon and steak
- Made in the USA with food-grade allergen-free flavorings
Dog Chew Toys for Puppies
This puppy chew toy comes in a couple of different styles and sizes. We took a look at the small wishbone, which is curved for a paw-friendly grip and flavored with real bacon.
- Durable … but with a little give for your puppy’s growing teeth
- Made in the USA, with all materials sourced from the USA too
- Manufacturer provides information on how to know when the chew toy needs replacing
- Designed for “modest chewers” and not specifically for teething
- Suitable for dogs up to 30lbs
If your pup is uncomfortable because they’re teething, try this flexible chew toy. It’ll help massage their gums and will also clean their teeth and freshen their breath.
- X-Bone shape, with four ends that can be chewed – making it easy to hold
- Beef-flavored throughout to keep your puppy engaged
- Suitable for puppies up to 15lbs
- Some reviewers said the smell was noticeable and strong to humans, not just dogs
- Firm enough that pieces can’t be easily broken off, but soft enough for teething puppies
This durable chew toy comes in a triple pack that covers all chewing stages. It makes a great puppy starter set.
- Three different bones designed for different stages of the puppy teething process
- One of the bones is edible, but the others aren’t, and should be discarded if pieces are broken off that might be swallowed
- Edible bone is a natural puppy treat in wholesome lamb and apple flavor
- Both the chew toys and the treat are made in the USA
- Designed for puppies up to 25lbs at most
If you’ve got a puppy with sore gums, this teething toy can provide much-needed relief. It’s also a great way to protect your furniture and belongings from destructive chewing.
- Suitable for small puppies, as it’s much softer than Nylabone’s tougher chew toys for powerful chewers
- Can be frozen to help soothe your puppy’s sore gums
- Chicken flavored to make it extra enticing
- Suitable for puppies and dogs up to 15lbs
- Needs to be discarded if your puppy chews pieces off it, as they could be hazardous if swallowed
Interactive Dog Chew Toys
This bacon-flavor chew toy comes in a range of sizes. We looked at the bone-shaped version, but there’s also a ball design.
- Available in a choice of three neon colors (green, orange, or pink)
- Includes a squeaker to help keep your dog entertained
- Fun to throw and bounce, as well as to chew
- Suitable for dogs of all ages, including teething puppies and senior dogs
- Has a bacon scent that your dog is bound to love
Cost: From $7
This version of KONG’s classic bulbous toy is made from tough black rubber. It can withstand a lot of powerful chewing.
- Easy to stuff with treats, and can be frozen for 4-6 hours to give your dog even more of a challenge
- Five sizes available, from small to XX-large
- Due to the shape, it bounces unpredictably for fun games of chase and fetch
- Recommended by vets and trainers worldwide
- Made in the USA with globally sourced materials
Cost: From $8
If you want a bone-shaped toy for your dog that offers a little extra, this is a great one to go for. You can easily stuff treats into the end of the bone to keep your dog engaged and to offer them a stimulating challenge.
- Designed to be durable for medium chewers: if your dog is a heavy chewer, go for a stronger option
- Available in two sizes, medium (15lbs – 35lbs) and large (30lbs – 65lbs)
- Both ends of the bone can be filled with treats: you can use a soft treat like peanut butter, or pop hard dog chews in there
- Can be fairly easily cleaned with hot soapy water
- Made in the USA, with materials sourced from around the world
Cost: From $11
If your dog is a powerful chewer, this fun tire toy can provide hours of entertainment. It’s suitable for stuffing with treats and designed to be easily thrown for games of fetch.
- Two sizes available: small is for dogs up to 20lbs; medium/large is for dogs between 15lbs and 65lbs
- Some reviewers said that the toy was a lot smaller than they’d expected (about the size of a teacup saucer)
- Suitable for determined chewers with strong teeth
- Can be frozen with treat inside to make it extra-challenging for your pet, so it’ll occupy them for longer
- Made in the USA from globally sourced materials
Cost: From $11
This fun tug toy is made from natural rubber and durable nylon. It stretches and recoils to make for a fun, interactive game of tug with your dog.
- Comfortable grips so that it’s easy for both you and your dog to grab hold of
- Available in three sizes, S, M, and L
- Helps fulfill your dog’s natural instinct to tug
- Not designed for powerful chewers, though some reviewers said it stood up to a lot of heavy chewing
- Rings are made from durable nylon, and the flexible, super-strong grips are made from KONG’s specially formulated rubber
You can fill this chew toy with treats and freeze it for extra fun for your dog. It’ll bounce around, too, making it great for hours of playtime.
- Curved shape gives it an unpredictable bounce
- Strong chew toy with textured rubs to help clean your dog’s teeth
- Comes in three different sizes: the smallest is for dogs up to 25lbs and the largest is for dogs up to 50lbs
- Not suitable for really powerful chewers
- Made in the USA by popular dog chew toy company Nylabone
Other Dog Chew Toys
These fun, shaped toys come in medium and large. You can choose from a gator or a gorilla for your dog: both versions have grooves to help clean your dog’s teeth.
- Infused with baking soda to freshen your dog’s breath, clean their teeth, and reduce tartar and plaque
- Made from all-natural rubber that’s latex-free
- Can be stuffed with treats to keep your pooch engaged for longer
- Dishwasher safe, so it’s really easy to clean
- Designed to be extremely durable, though some reviewers said it didn’t live up to this claim for aggressive chewers
Cost: From $7.99
If you want a durable bone-style toy, this dental chew is a great option for your dog and should last for weeks. There’s a range of flavors and sizes available.
- Comes in three different sizes: small (dogs under 30lbs), medium (under 60lbs), and large (under 90lbs)
- Choice of three flavors: bacon, chicken, and peanut
- Designed to be easy for your dog to grip in their paws
- Has stimulating ridges to help keep teeth clean and gums healthy
- Manufactured in the USA, using materials from the USA too
Cost: From $11
This bacon-flavored dog chew toy comes in a range of styles: we took a look at the “tuff bone” option, which is designed for mild to moderate chewers.
- Available in a range of sizes, from Extra Small (tiny dogs under 10lbs) to Extra Large (75lbs+)
- Has a tempting bacon scent to get your dog interested
- Made from durable nylon and polyurethane with a textured surface to help clean your dog’s teeth
- Colors vary and you’ll be sent one at random: you can’t choose the color
- Fine for teething puppies and senior dogs too
Cost: From $4
This durable stick toy has the texture of real wood. It’s BBQ flavor, which your dog will love, and great for games of fetch.
- Tough, safe, and non-toxic alternative to wooden sticks
- Won’t splinter like a real stick or branch, and won’t make a huge mess when chewed!
- Comes in 4 sizes, from Petite (up to 15lbs) to Large (26lbs – 50lbs+)
- Rawhide and antler versions also available
- Made in the USA and uses real wood
Cost: From $4.99