Dogs bark. In fact, many of us count on them to alert us to potential danger. But sometimes the barking can become a nuisance. The reasons dogs bark are numerous, and like a child’s cry, a dog’s bark may vary in tone so that you can identify each purpose. Most commonly, dogs bark to alert you that his territory is being invaded or to indicate they want something, such as to go outside, to be fed or to play. Dogs also bark when they are alarmed or bored. When you have a particularly anxious dog or one with severe separation anxiety, barking can quickly escalate and become a problem. At these times, additional tools such as a bark collar can be implemented to help him understand when it is acceptable to bark.
We looked at dozens of bark collars and compared the specialized features of each. We looked at the method of correction, the number of sensitivity levels and bark detection system for each. We also considered whether the correction options could be customized. Finally, we evaluated whether the collars were appropriate for dogs of all sizes or would be better for small or large dogs.
Though many bark collars have features in common, the TBI Bark Pro V3 stood out from the rest. While some dogs respond quickly to no-shock collars, there are others who need this extra stimulation to pay attention to your commands. The fact that you can shut off the shock feature on this collar makes it an effective training aid for more dogs.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Bark Collars
|Best Overall||TBI Pro Bark Collar||4.3|
|Runner Up||DogRook Bark Collar||4.1|
|Best Budget Buy||ELenest Bark Collar||4.5|
|Best Large Dog Bark Collar||PetSafe Bark Collar||3.3|
|Best Small Dog Bark Collar||eXuby Shock Collar for Small Dogs||3.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: TBI Bark Pro V3
The TBI Bark Pro V3 comes with leather and nylon collars and is designed for all dog sizes. It has two sets of electrodes (for short and long haired dogs) and features switchable vibration and shock modes that enable you to shut off the shock feature. The digital display makes it easier to choose the levels right for your dog.
Developed with the support of dog trainers, the ability to turn off the shock feature is mentioned as a positive by many users who found that minimal use of the shock setting was needed to achieve desired results. After one or two shocks, many dogs were corrected by the beep and vibration alone. Other users report that the strong vibration mode and loud beep were effective on their own; they never felt the need to move on to using the shock feature.
The top selling bark collar Amazon with a rating of 4.3 from more than 1,400 users, it is apparent that many dog owners are happy with this product and find it an effective aid to reducing their dogs’ barking.
TBI Pro Rechargeable Bark Collar Key Features:
- Barking detection system prevents false triggers when another dog barks
- 5 levels of sensitivity
- 3 training modes (beep, vibration, gentle, safe shock (No shock option is also available)
- Rechargeable battery lasts up to 14 days per charge
- Collar is deactivated if it is triggered 7 times in one minute
- Uses IPX7 waterproof material
Our Runner Up Pick: DogRook Bark Collar
With seven vibration and sound levels, the DogRook Bark Collar helps you train your dog to bark less without the discomfort of shocks. Seven sensitivity levels allow you to adjust the collar to match your dog’s bark. The seven correction levels start with two warning beeps, which is then followed by a beep and vibration. These corrections become more intense if the dog keeps barking.
Reinforcing the idea that the collar is to be used as a training aid, the collar also comes with a training E-book.
More than 1,500 users have reviewed this collar on Amazon with an average rating of 4.1 and it is the company’s third best-selling bark collar. If correcting your dog without shocks is your goal, you may want to join other dog owners who say they are happy with this product.
Dog Rook Bark Collar Key Features:
- 7 adjustable sensitivity levels – will not react to other barking dogs
- No shock – vibration and sound
- Nylon strap has reflective stripes and is adjustable for dogs 11 to 110 pounds
- Water resistant
- Comes with 2 batteries and 2 colored covers
- 1 year warranty
Best Budget Pick: Everyday Urban Bark Collar
The Everyday Urban Bark Collar corrects barking by getting the dog’s attention with a beep, then providing seven levels that get progressively longer if needed. The warning beep is followed by a vibration which often distracts dogs into being quiet. Designed for dogs of all sizes, in many cases, the collar does its job in just a few days. It includes two color options, either blue and orange, or yellow and pink, so you can swap out the color if desired.
Lower cost does not mean less features. This collar uses vibration technology to decrease the odds of your dog being corrected for another dog’s bark. An Amazon rating of 3.5 from almost 500 users indicates that this lower cost bark collar is worth the money.
Everyday Urban Dog Bark Collar Key Features:
- Uses vibration and sound
- Uses intelligent warning system to detect barks
- Adjusts for neck sizes 9 to 22 inches
- Two reflective colors (orange and blue paws ) included
- E-book included
- 100 percent guarantee
Best Bark Collar for Small Dogs: eXuby Shock Collar for Small Dogs with Remote
The eXuby Shock Collar for Small Dogs comes with a remote that works from up to 1000 feet away so you can decide when your dog needs correction. It provides the option of using shock or no shock with 100 intensity levels. A clicker is also included which can be used to warn your dog before utilizing the collar’s correction, useful for times your dog is not wearing the collar. It comes with two collars and 2 different sized probes to fit dogs of various sizes.
Like our top pick, this collar allows owners to opt out of shock correction, while also making it an option for persistent barkers. It also features 100 intensity settings, possible more than any other collar. With more than 700 dog owners providing an Amazon rating of 3.5, you can have confidence that this bark collar will help you train your small dog to bark less.
eXuby Shock Collar for Small Dogs with Remote Key Features:
- Includes training clicker
- Sound, vibration, or shock modes with 100 intensity settings
- Rechargeable receiver and remote
- 30 day money back guarantee
Best Bark Collar for Large Dogs: PetSafe Basic Bark Collar
The PetSafe Basic uses 6 levels of static shock correction,which increase automatically until your dog stops barking (it automatically shuts off after 50 seconds). Unlike many other collars, this one is adjustable to a neck size of 28 inches. Users who have tested the shock levels report it is uncomfortable, but not painful and that many dogs are cured of their barking habit in just a few days.
With the largest neck size of any we looked at, this collar is likely to fit any large dog and an Amazon rating of 3.3 from more than 2,600 users shows that many dog owners are happy with the way this product works.
PetSafe Basic Bark Collar Key Features:
- 6 levels of progressive static correction
- Vibration detection of dog’s bark prevents false trigger
- Progressive correction starts with lowest level of static, auto shut off after 50 seconds
- Fits dogs over 8 pounds, neck size up to 28 inches
Who Should Buy a Bark Collar
You love your dog, but sometimes he is a little overenthusiastic when someone comes to the door or when he sees other dogs out on a walk. Maybe your neighbors have said that your dog has a lot of energy while you are at work, or your landlord or the HOA has hinted that they prefer “quiet” tenants. Perhaps your dog hasn’t yet figured out that normal nighttime noises and the early morning paper delivery don’t pose a danger and his barking keeps waking you up. Your dog is part of your family, but you like your neighbors (at least most of them) and don’t want to search for a new place for you and/or your dog to live.
A bark collar can be a useful tool to help train your dog to stop barking. Once you have determined why your dog barks, you can work to reduce the incidence of her barking to what you find necessary and/or acceptable. While barking serves a necessary function (after all, it is the primary way your dog communicates with you), excessive barking is not only annoying, it can also make it difficult for you to carry on conversations, can disturb your neighbors, or can even jeopardize your living arrangements. Experts advise using the collar when needed, but not leaving it on the dog all the time. There are times your dog should bark and you don’t want him punished at these times. he goal of using such a collar should be to teach your dog to bark less, not to stop all barking.
Important Features to Consider
A bark control collar is a useful training aid to help your dog learn when to not bark, but in order for the training to be successful, it needs to get his attention while not making him fearful. Dogs of different sizes, breeds, and coat types may react differently; one collar may not fit all. Here’s what you should consider when selecting a bark collar for your dog:
- Multiple sensitivity levels. Collars with multiple sensitivity levels allow you to control the volume of correction based on your particular dog. Smaller dogs do not need as strong a stimulus as large dogs and those with thicker fur need a different level of contact than a short-haired dog.
- Multiple operation modes. Collars with multiple modes allow you to disable the shock feature and to instead use only tone and vibration (this is sufficient motivation for many dogs).
- Vibration detection. Particularly in multi-dog households, look for a collar that uses vibration and not simply a microphone to pick up a dog’s barking. Microphone-only collars will punish the dog wearing the collar even when another dog barks.
- Safety shut-off. Many collars come equipped with safety shut offs that disable the stimulus after a set number of barks within a certain time limit.
- Proper sizing. Make sure the collar fits properly and that any prongs are properly placed on dog’s neck. Improperly fitting collars can cause injury.
- Rechargeable. Bark collars are battery powered. Some can be recharged, others need to be replaced when they wear out.
- Water- resistant/proof. You want to consider your dog’s activities: dogs who spend much time in the water will need a waterproof collar.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a bark collar and how does it work?
Bark control collars work as a form of negative reinforcement. Like, other electric training devices, they consist of a small device attached to a collar (often nylon, but sometimes leather). When triggered by a dog’s bark, (or in some cases, by the owner using a remote) they deliver an unpleasant noise, vibration, shock or spray (or a combination of these) that distracts the dog. These collars work on the premise that the dog will catch on that barking produces these unpleasant side effects. While collars may be left on when the dog is unsupervised, most manufacturer recommend they not be left on 24/7. Like other general dog training collars, they are most effective in combination with verbal training sessions.
Are barking collars safe?
Used correctly, barking collars are safe. While the shock style collars on the market claim to produce a static shock (as felt after shuffling ones feet across a carpeted surface), in rare cases, there have been reports of injuries to dogs with some collars. You can reduce this risk by making sure the collar you use is appropriate for your dog. Different coat lengths as well as size of the dog can influence what collar you choose. Citronella collars, popular in Europe, are considered by many to be the most humane. They work by spraying an unpleasant scent near the dog’s snout which is not a sufficient deterrent for some dogs. Before beginning training with a bark collar, talk to your veterinarian. In some cases, excessive barking is caused by a health condition or severe anxiety; some of these can be worsened by using a bark collar.
How do I get my dog to stop barking when left alone?
- It is easiest to solve this issue by first determining why your dog is barking. A dog monitor camera can alert you to how your dog spends time when you are away and may provide a clue as to what triggers his barking.
- Tire him out. Young dogs in particular need regular exercise. If you will be gone for an extended period, consider having someone come to your home to walk or play with your dog. Regular training sessions while you are home will stimulate your dog’s brain and also reinforce good behavior. Some dogs and their owners enjoy participating in competitions, such as agility, rally, flyball, diving, tracking, and herding trials.
- Provide stimulating toys. Canine puzzles that dispense treats can keep a dog busy for hours. Hollow toys such as a Kong filled with treats (fill one with peanut butter and put in the freezer) can keep a dog occupied and happy while you are out. Using these toys only when leaving a dog alone can give your dog something to look forward to.
- Reduce or eliminate triggers – cover windows so he can’t see passersby or contain him in a crate or other room. Use a white noise machine or leave the radio or television on to cover outdoor sounds and mimic the sounds of people being home.
- Calming aids such as sprays, pheromone diffusers and pressure wraps such as a Thundershirt may benefit dogs who bark due to anxiety. Cases of severe separation anxiety may need professional care. Talk to your veterinarian who may prescribe medication.
How do I control my dog’s barking?
Use the same methods you use to teach your dog any other behavior. Stay calm. “Barking back” will only reinforce the behavior. Ignore your dog when she barks, and praise and/or provide a treat when she stops. Teach the command “quiet” or “hush.” Like other single word commands, repeating the command and rewarding the desired behavior will teach him what you expect. If your dog is barking to demand attention, ignore him rather than reward that behavior. Turn your back or walk out of the room. If the sight or sound of other dogs trigger barking, use the hush command. Carry soft treats with a strong aroma that will distract your dog. Other training aids such as a clicker or training collar also refocus your dog’s attention and can be used to encourage a behavior you prefer (such as playing with a toy or laying down in his bed).
Other Bark Collars We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other collars to control your dog’s barking. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best bark collars list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing. For your convenience, we’ve grouped them into the following three categories:
Spray Bark Collars
The PetSafe Gentle Spray Collar uses a burst of citronella spray to discourage barking. Unscented spray refills are also available.
- Water resistant
- Fits dogs over 6 pounds, neck size up to 24 inches
- 300 to 400 sprays per can
- Uses included 6 volt alkaline batters
When the Downtown Pet Supply bark collar senses a bark, it releases a short burst of citronella spray under your dog’s chin. Most dogs dislike this scent, so it is an effective deterrant.
- Built in microphone detects only your dog’s bark
- Fits dogs 8 pounds and up
- 60 day warranty
No Shock Bark Collars
The Nicexx Bark Collar was engineered with the support of dog trainers. In auto mode, it distinguishes your dog’s bark from other noises and provides correction intended to stop barking in one minute.
- 7 vibration and sound levels
- Fits dogs 6 to 120 pounds
- IPx7 waterproof & Reflective
- 100 percent satisfaction money back guarantee
The Barklo Small Dog Bark Collar uses noise and vibration to deter your dog from barking.
- 5 levels of sensitivity
- Microprocessor distinguishes your dog’s bark from environmental noises
- Designed for small and medium dogs, fits neck sizes 5 to 19 inches and is meant for dogs over 6 pounds
- Made of waterproof plastic with an adjustable nylon strap
- Auto shut off when repeatedly activated
After a warning tone, the Elecane Small Dog bark collar provides increasing levels of vibration until dog stops barking. It includes five colored face plates.
- 7 levels of vibration correction
- New chip uses throat vibrations to prevent false triggers
- Fits neck size 6 to 24 inches
- Rechargeable & Rainproof
- 100 percent guarantee
The Lovatic Bark Collar uses sound and vibration frequencies to correct your dog’s barking. The first two barks elicit a warning sound; the third prompts both sound and vibration. The collar comes with two color plates.
- Uses progressive high-frequency ultrasonic sound and vibration
- 7 level sensitivity levels and sleep mode
- Fits dogs 15 to 110 pounds
- Waterproof LED clip-on light increases visibility and safety of your dog
The Pet Pawsabilities Bark Collar uses only sound and vibration to correct your dog’s barking. A portion of proceeds goes to animal charities.
- 7 levels of correction
- Auto shut off after 7 corrections in one minute
- Customize to match your dog’s bark with 7 sensitivity levels
- For dogs 25 to 150 pounds, neck sizes 13 to 24 inches
The DigyDog Bark Collar uses sound and vibration frequencies to correct your dog’s barking. The first two barks result in a warning sound; the third prompts both sound and vibration. After 7 barks, it goes into sleep mode for one minute. The collar comes with two colored plastic panels.
- 8 training modes
- 7 sensitivity levels
- For dogs 5 to 150 pounds, neck size 10 to 22 inches
- Uses 6 volt battery
- Comes with LED light tag
The MARDOG No Bark Collar provides continuous beeping and vibration when your dog barks. It is particularly suited for small to medium sized dogs.
- Triggered only by your dog
- Fits dogs 11 to 150 pounds
- 60 day money back guarantee
The MASBRILL Small Dog Bark Collar provides a series of progressive sound and vibration corrections. You can choose the sensitivity level to fit your dog’s needs.
- 7 Sensitivity levels
- Fits dogs 5 to 55 pounds, neck size 5.9 to 15.75 inches
- 7 vibration and sound levels
- Auto safety shut off after 7 triggers in one minute
- Safety light
Beep/Vibration/Shock Bark Collars
The Gloue Bark Collar uses a dual training mode: beep+vibration and beep+vibration+shock. In non shock mode, correction is triggered as long as dog barks. In shock mode, correction goes through six steps then sleeps for 2 minutes.
- Smart test mode
- Intelligent identification chip filters other sounds to prevent false triggers
- Adjustable and reflective strap fits dogs 6 to 150 pounds, neck size 3.7 to 21.5 inch
- Built-in USB rechargeable battery charges in 2 to 3 hours for about 10 days of use
- IP67 waterproof design
The Allenker Bark Collar can be used with any of three modes or with all three in succession. Breathing light make dogs visible up to 200 meters away, prevents dogs from getting lost.
- 3 training modes: vibration beep and harmless shock can be adjusted independently; shock and vibration modes adjust at 3 levels of intensity
- Reacts only to your dog’s bark
- Shifts to sleep mode if dog barks seven times in one minute
- Fits dogs 12 to 120 pounds, neck size 8 to 24 inches
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery charges in 1 to 2 hours, lasts up to 14 days
- Lightweight, waterproof construction
- 30 day warranty, lifetime tech support
The PetSafe Elite is designed for small and medium sized dogs. It uses both vibration and sound to ensure your dog is corrected only for his own barks.
- 10 levels of static correction
- Bark detection system prevents false triggers
- Safety shut off after 80 seconds
- Fits dogs 8 to 55 pounds neck sizes to 22 inches
The 2019 upgrade version of the JANNIK REGIROCK is adjustable to fit dogs from 15 pounds and up. It provides seven levels of correction to choose from depending on your dog’s needs.
- Sound and vibration stimulus with 7 sensitivity levels
- Vibration and sound combined trigger smart sensors
- Flexible sizes fit dogs 15 to 110 pounds
- Waterproof LED clip-on pert safety light with 3 flashing modes
The PEDLZ No Bark Collar uses 3 modes (sound vibration shock) or correction that can be used individually or in combination, depending on your dog’s needs.
- Ultrasonic wave measures distance to percent being triggered by another dog’s bark
- 7 intensity levels
- Fits dogs 15 to 150 pounds
- Safety mechanism causes collar to be deactivated if triggered 7 times in a row
- Rainproof & rechargeable in one hour – lasts 14 days
- 30 day guarantee
The Pexio Professional Bark Collar uses advanced sonic detection technology to ensure only your dog’s barking triggers a correction.
- 5 sensitivity levels
- Sonic detection technology identifies your dog’s barking, avoiding false triggers
- Automatic protection mode deactivates collar for two minutes
- Adjustable; fits most dogs
- USB Rechargeable battery charges in 2 to 3 hours, provides 14 to 20 days of use, low battery indicator
- IP67 waterproof
- Lifetime warranty
The Naturepets Bark Collar works automatically to correct barking.
- Correction progresses through 7 sensitivity levels
- Unit stops working for 1 minute if dog continues to bark
- Fits dogs 18 to 120 pounds
- Replaceable 6-volt battery
The Dansrue Anti Bark Collar uses three modes and has four sensitivity levels. A nylon reflective strap and breathing light allows dog to be seen up to 200 meters away.
- Four sensitivity levels filter out unrelated sounds to avoid false triggers
- 3 anti-barking modes (beep, vibration, shock)
- Adjustable to fit dogs from 8 to 120 pounds with 11 to 24 inch neck size
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides 14 days of use (1-2 hour charging time)
- Waterproof (though should not be worn while swimming)
- 1 year warranty, lifetime customer service
The PetAmenity No Barking Collar uses sound and vibration to ensure it is only triggered by the dog wearing it. It is for dogs of all sizes and is reflective and rainproof.
- Uses sound and vibration to detect dog’s bark
- Uses Beep/Vibrate/Shock or “no shock” modes
- Auto shutdown after 7 barks in one minute period
- Adjustable from 6.5 to 24 inches
- USB rechargeable in under 1 hour, lasts up to 14 days
- Reflective collar is rainproof and water resistant
- 30 day money back guarantee
The ELZU.US’s automatic mode issues a sound warning before issuing a level 1 impulse. If the dog does not respond, the sensitivity increases through 5 levels before shutting off for one minute. When barking stops for 30 seconds, collar resets to initial level.
- 5 Sensitivity levels
- Fits dogs 6 to 120 pounds, neck size to 73 cm
- Includes electrodes for both long and short hared dogs
- Auto shut off
- Certified IPX5 waterproof
- 30 day guarantee